Formerly Feral Barn Kitty...health Emergency!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness what a day....I don't know who else would want to hear it so I'm posting it here with all the feral cat folks...

I care for 7 feral and formerly-feral kitties at the horse farm where I keep my horse. Two are re-homed ferals that catch mice and come for feedings but are not social at all. Three are TNR kittens (now 2 years old) that some person in a black BMW dumped there. At least they were all neutered and ear tipped. One fat Bengal-cross just showed up, and the flame point Siamese tom cat just showed up too, and when I catch him, I plan to neuter him but it's not that easy...

Anyway. Two of the kittens I was able to get to before 12 weeks and they are both socialized. I can pet them, pick them up, head butts, kisses and all that. The third kitten was shy and I couldn't gain his trust early on, so can only be petted during feedings.

Bingo...and I've mentioned him before...he went on a hunger strike while I was out of town (paying someone else to feed everyone) for 2 weeks on company training, and then when I got back he disappeared. He came back but clearly he was making a point with that act.

Anyway, Bingo is my buddy. He is always there when I come to the barn to take care of my horse every day, and we always have our private hug and kisses time in the tack room when I'm done with my chores.

I noticed he was losing weight in past weeks...figured maybe a tapeworm. It's always flea season here in South Florida. So I gave him some anti parasite treatment mixed with food and it was hard to get him to eat it. Eventually he ate some mixed with kitten food. Over the weekend I noticed he was trying to hack up a hairball. Again yesterday...no hairball though. I forgot to bring Laxatone again too. He just seemed very frail and weak, like when I had to go out of town last year after I got back and he was all upset because he thought I was gone...(See the "feral kitten is mad at me" post).

Today I go to the barn. He's there, like always. He eats a little with the others then follows me to the barn for his private feeding on top of the fridge. He followed me into the tack room for snuggles and that's when I saw his breathing. His sides were literally heaving.

I have to be at work tomorrow at 5AM...and it's a day from hell tomorrow. I was hoping to get home early and rest after a long day today. I quickly dressed my horses ongoing leg wound (a whole other story) then got my dear boyfriend (who has a horse) to clean her stall. I threw in the feed for her, grabbed Bingo in the nasty cat carrier at the barn (ugh) and away we went, calling the vet on the way.

The carrier had a rusted door whose latches were frozen and the door was useless. I wedged it against the back seat of the car tightly and hoped for the best. 1 mile down the road, Bingo gets out and is now walking over my shoulder and onto the dashboard....while I'm on the phone with the vet. He's freaking out because, well, it's his first car ride since he was dumped, and he's sick. He found a safe place halfway between the front and back of the car ( it's a 1992 Pathfinder with the rear seats folded flat and a lot of cat food back there). I called ahead again to the vet letting them know my cat carrier was crap and I needed help in the parking lot.

The manager (bless his soul) of the clinic met me in the parking lot with a carrier. By this time Bingo was back in the front seat. I scruffed him, held his front legs with the other hand and was going to load him like a cannonball into that carrier the vet was holding but he decided to spread his hind legs and brace against the door with *literally the strength of a lion* I couldn't hold the 7 pound guy! He scrambled backward and snagged the side of my nose with a claw and got it stuck. That was awesome.

Blood running down my face, he's stuck on my cloth steering wheel, and anything else he can reach. I scruffed him again, grabbed his legs and stuffed him in the carrier this time. OMG.

Luckily I carry paper towels, and neosporin so I held pressure on my freshly pierced nostril while checking in at the vet, looking ridiculous I'm sure. They immediately put him on oxygen and did x-rays and blood work and tested him for feline leukemia and HIV. The vet said there was something on the X-rays that looked like fluid possibly in his lungs. After an hour he improved slightly, but the vet said the prognosis was not good and he would not make it through the night unless he was oxygen. Even better, the clinic was technically closed at that point, as they are not 24 hour, and there was no way he could stay.

With no other option, I asked what do I do then? They referred me to a 24 hour clinic that could keep him overnight. I borrowed a non-crappy carrier from them and away we went, stopping for gas in the 280k mile '92 Pathfinder since I was on fumes and we had a 10 mile or so drive ahead. If you wonder "Gee why are you driving a 27 year old truck with that many miles around?" It's because of days like THIS that make it impossible to afford anything newer.

Bingo was slightly sedated (thankfully) so there was no crashing around in the carrier this time. We got there, checked in, explained the story (he's not even really my cat!) and thankfully the other vet sent over all the records and they were already prepared for his arrival.

The emergency clinic vet said she didn't think it was fluid in his lungs. She said the lines we were seeing on the X-ray were boundaries of things like lungs, trachea, bronchial tubes that were normally not as prominent and she believed Bingo was having his first (and lethal if not treated) asthma attack.

He is a barn cat. The barn is full of hay dust, dirt, atomized horse poo and goodness knows what else and Bingo loves sleeping in the dusty rafters waiting for rats to happen by. I've seen him trotting away with a rat so big he had to hold his head up high so it wouldn't drag on the ground.

So he's overnight in the oxygen chamber, with IV fluids, resting comforably now. The awesome overnight staff already love him and are keeping him company through the night. I'm hoping by morning he will be improved enough with the O2 and the steroid shot to return to the barn, and I'm sure I will need a rescue inhaler for him.

Long term though, Bingo and his sister Leelah, need to be adopted out of there and live inside. They are the kind of personalities you try to find when you look for a cat and her are two, brother and sister, who are absolute sweethearts. I would take them both if I could, but I live in 950 square foot house with a "man and his dog" (14year old American Eskimo), plus my 18lb Maine Coon rescue cat "Romeo", and "Church" (from Instagram _thecatnamedchurch_) who was a disabled barn cat that I took in because his cataracts made barn life simply too dangerous with horses, dogs, trucks and everything.

Oh, and there's also the feral of 7 years I've been feeding in the driveway twice a day who I had to catch and take to the vet a few months ago because he was bitten by another cat and his leg was abscessed...now he wants to come inside and sit on my lap (and on the bed)...I think he was a pet that was abandoned a decade ago and he re-feralized if that's a word. Anyway, he lives on the porch now.

So no way I could take Bingo, or both him and Leelah for that matter.

I did everything I could do...I couldn't leave him at the barn and go home seeing him like that. I couldn't just leave the first vet and drop him back off at the barn knowing he wouldn't survive the night. They said at the emergency clinic...no news is good news, and it's 11PM and all is well.

Thanks for reading....it's been a hard day.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my holy flippin' criminentally ...words are basically failing me here.

....by the way, how's your nose?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
My nose is..OK...he hooked the side of the nostril good and ripped a little semi-circular flap. I put pressure on it and since I had no hydrogen peroxide I just used antibacterial gel then put neosporin on it when it stopped (finally) bleeding. Now it's just sore...like bruise sore, and I have a little tiny waterproof translucent bandaid on it that's really annoying but I know i need to cover it at least for the first 24 hours. I can't WAIT to go to work tomorrow looking like I had a nose picking injury but that's my Tuesday preview for you...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a brother too. He rescued a, possum, ferrets and dragon so he has no room to talk. :lol: I actually like the crazy cat lady bandages. I’d use those!

I have had my nose pierced by a cat bite. I was tempted to put a ring in it but at my age.......:dunno:

I hope your nose recovers quickly.
I think you’re great for saving the kitty. Bravo! :clap2::clap::salam: My kind of person!
The word isn’t crazy. Your brother just can’t spell. It’s caring! Give him a dictionary for his next gift. :flail:

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
The word isn’t crazy. Your brother just can’t spell. It’s caring! Give him a dictionary for his next gift. :flail:[/QUOTE said:
You’re right... and that’s a great idea!:lolup:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are an absolute saint! Holy cow. Bingo and the others are so lucky to have you. Ask at the vet clinic if they have any ideas for a home for these kitties. It's just so hard to see all of these cats everywhere. You went above and beyond. I tip my hat to you!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Update....pop your popcorn now because this story got even crazier (unfortunately). After no calls from the emergency clinic all night (and no news is good news), I finally got a call at 8AM from the day shift staff saying he was breathing better and resting comfortably, and they would be weaning him off the oxygen and would let me know how it went. OK.

Exhausted from yesterday. I did my obligatory 3/4 day at work (6:30 AM to 11:30 AM) then took off after lunch and went home to sleep. I only got a few hours of sleep last night and had to get up at 5:15.

The phone kept dinging and ringing with texts and robocallers and I wasn't able to sleep. Then the phone rang at 2PM and it was the vet. She said he was off the oxygen and breathing better....but there was a new problem. An astute vet tech noticed Bingo was in the litter box trying to pee and he couldn't.

He had a blockage, either from urinary tract crystals or (more likely) from stress the previous day. He would die unless we did surgery.

I said just do it. God won't judge me on my credit card balance at the end of my life. He went into surgery immediately and was out by 3:30. I was on my way to the barn to take care of the other 6 cats and my horse and the vet called again. The surgery went well, no problems or scary arrhythmias. He had a catheter inserted from his bladder to the 'outside hole' and they were draining the bloody urine that was backing up in his bladder. No crystals were found. It was from the stress of the previous day. You can probably imagine between the first vet visit with bloodwork X-rays, ultrasound and oxygen, then the emergency clinic overight with oxygen and medicine, and now surgery...will cost. Lets just say I'll be driving my 27 year old SUV with 280K miles for a long time...

I'm totally physically and emotionally wiped out from this (oh and financially). Bingo will be in the emergency clinic for another 3 days to recover before he can go back to the farm. Even worse, the lease on the farm is up at the end of the month and we will have to move to a new one 10 miles away. I will have to catch all of them and move them...i hope to take three to a farm south where a lady who rescued one of my indoor cats keeps her horse. She will feed three of them daily and look after them. The other four, including Bingo, his sister Leelah, his brother PunkinChunkin and his flame point Siamese buddy "Topaz" will all go to the new barn...if we can catch Punkin and Topaz at all. I will try...

Anyway that's the latest on the Bingo saga....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor Bingo. I am so thankful the vet tech caught this. Urinary blockages are the worst. One of my semi feral boys blocked 2 years ago. He had to have PU surgery as he blocked again after the catheter was removed. He did really well after the surgery until just lately. I was at the ER vet with him last night as he blocked again.

I am sending Bingo and you my positive energy and thoughts.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you shadowsrescue! I certainly hope this blockage issue is a one time thing from the stress of the trip to the vet(s) and his inability to breathe. I only see Bingo and the other cats for 2 hours a day and I’m doing barn chores, not watching them closely so there’s no way he’s had a history of this or he wouldn’t be alive.

I’m sorry to hear you are in the same situation again and again with the blockages... it’s so expensive!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, lordy, I am sending every possible good thought to you, Bingo and everyone!!!

Geez, if you have a dime extra you'll need to buy some stock in Jolt Cola...

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Thursday Bingo update: Well I had to wait an hour at the ER to see him because another emergency case came in just then and they had to get that one stabilized first. Bingo once again was VERY happy to see me. Head butts and kisses, purrs and rolling over for belly rubs. The staff is amazed that he's so chill, so friendly and loving...being that he's a formerly feral kitten, now a barn cat.

They said he ate well this morning, and pooped enough for three days (which is about right since he hasn't pooped since Monday when this all happened). Pee coming out of the catheter is less bloody and that's good too. He managed to pull a stitch and some of the catheter out but he's past the 48 hour mark so everything beyond that is icing on the cake. They plan to remove the catheter tomorrow morning and hopefully release him Saturday morning. He did have another asthmatic flare up of coughing during the night and one puff on the inhaler took care of it. While I was there he had a wheezy cough or two as well.

I supposed after a near-fatal asthmatic event like what happened last weekend, which ended up with him in the emergency clinic on Monday, aftershocks are to be expected. I'm hoping with time it will settle down and this won't turn into a chronic thing...he's a barn cat after all. I think he was exposed to something in the air over the weekend that set it off because he's lived at the barn almost three years (his whole life) without incident until now.

Also they saw part of a tapeworm in his poo. That is actually a good thing because it explains his rapid weigh loss that caused me to treat him for parasites a week ago. Due to his off appetite, I'm not sure if he got the full dose though in the kitten food I got him. They told me to bring in the liquid wormer and they'd make sure he got it.

The staff at Advanced Veterinary Care Clinic in Ft. Lauderdale is amazing and while I know this is going to be a financial hit like I've never had before, their 24 hour personal care, frequent updates and going the extra mile has made it worth the money

I was worried too about releasing him back with his cat friends at the barn. It's been raining here, and the barn is a place where people come with dogs off the leash, there are trucks frequently delivering hay and supplies, or removing manure and I think after all this he needs to rest and rehab first...and I need to watch for wheezing and any more lung issues.

So he will be set up in the spare room of my house in a large crate with a litter box, food, water, a snuggly bed and blanket and I'll check on him and let him out under supervision in the room until he's feeling better. I have 2 indoor cats, one indoor/outdoor and a 14 year old American Eskimo dog in this tiny house, so I really can't keep him...though I wish I could. If he does have a chronic issue, I will have to find him a home with someone who knows how to manage asthma. I have a feeling he will be ok long term, but after an event this big, he may be prone to relapse in general.

So that's the scoop for today!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the update. I hope all goes well and he can come home tomorrow. It is awesome that you can set up a place for him to recover.

My boy hopefully comes home today. He had his catheter removed yesterday, but took another 12 hours to urinate on his own. The vet will call me this morning and then if all goes well he can come home. It's been a long week and lots of $$$$$ as you well know.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It seems like without your intervention he would have likely passed away. I'm sure it was expensive. We have a couple of asthmatic cats in the shelter and the times they've had to stay on oxygen cost a pretty penny.

This is the time of year when allergies start up very badly.
We have ragweed and tree pollen at high levels. So, if he has asthma living outdoors right now would be dangerous.

Have you checked out facebook groups for community cat rescue in your area? I find this is the best way to network and find rescues willing to help. You'd have to do a few searches with terms like feral cat, TNR, barn cat, cat fostering etc. Asking for help with a cat that has a medical condition you don't feel equipped for is not wrong. It might be a hard sell if you are just looking for someone to take him because those bad asthma attacks requiring hospitalization are expensive, so it'd be awesome if you could find a rescue that can help place him in a home where there is another cat with asthma it'd be ideal. Barn cats/ community cats, ex-colony cats tend to do well with living with other cats...this is why I have six inside.

I wish you and Bingo good luck. If you have any problems with setting him up or keeping him in the spare room let us know.

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Friday update...the vet called around 11AM and said they were still waiting for him to pee after removing the catheter. They removed it earlier in the morning and a little pee came out, but he hadn't made a real pee yet and they wanted to see him do that. However because he was so chill and calm, they were ok letting him go home early also. After seeing him cough a few times yesterday, and knowing he hadn't peed yet...I decided to let him stay another night under observation. I did go visit him though after taking care of my horse at the barn.

He was able to visit in a waiting room instead of his cage in the back because the IV and catheter lines were out. Just the IV port in his leg was still there. He was drowsy but recognized me immediately and the purrrrrrs were very loud! He still had the cone on his head though and that made snuggles challenging. They brought in a fluffy towel, and wet and dry food and left us alone for a half and hour...I know it's expensive but I'm really impressed with all the above and beyond stuff I've seen at this clinic.

He didn't eat more than a nibble, but he did take a short nap with his head on my arm. Then he woke up and wanted to stand up and get down off the table. I lifted him into my lap like we do at the barn but he kept wanting to get down on the floor. OK, no problem really. I thought he wanted to explore. He went behind the chairs and sat down just looking at me....being very still. Then it hit me...are you PEEING? I didn't know! He stayed there for a full minute and when he got up there was a little yellow puddle. No red! Yay!

Then...Bingo being Bingo...(and it was very quiet in this room) the little bugger let out a fart I could actually here...ughh...all those medicines! Yuck! OK and he proceeded to the other corner of the room to lay down the law. GOOD BOY!!

So funny! But it was good to see him finally pee on his own. After that, he wanted to be picked up again so i put him back on the table and he laid down and fell asleep again with his tummy making lots of gurgles. Medicines, I'm sure.

I had to call the front desk on my cell phone because he was asleep across my whole arm and I didn't want to wake him. They sent someone in right away and they took sleepycat back to his bed. The plan is to take him back to my house tomorrow in the large crate I have set up in the spare room and leave him there for as long as he wants to be there. I think he will sleep for days and days after this ordeal.

I just hope the car ride home and the ride back to the farm in a week or so won't stress him out to the point of blockage...that is so scary. I feel so bad that happened to him, and all because of the ride to the vet(s) trying to help the asthma.

I think he understands everyone is trying to help him, and that he was sick and needed help. He hasn't resisted anyone or anything they've done, the vet tech said, and no one can believe he's a barn cat, let alone a former-feral kitten. But it's true. He has the best, most loving personality ever and I had to help him. I realized that some of the cats are just there for food and my interaction with them is limited to "thanks for the food....you can pet me while I eat but after that I'm off limits." But Bingo, and his sister Leelah are special and I really look forward to seeing them every day. Leelah knows something is up. She knows Bingo isn't at the barn and has been following me around and wanting extra attention.

Anyway, that's the update for today!

FriendofFerals

Cat Mommy
Young Cat
Purraise
Saturday update...the vet called at 8:30 AM to say Bingo pooped, peed, ate and drank on his own during the night with no more wheezing. I'm glad I left him there one more night. I was really nervous about taking him in the carrier again from the vet to the house where he'll be recouperating for the next week. This time it went MUCh better than the emergency ride to the first vet where he got out of the carrier. I brought my own carrier, not the nasty one from the barn with the broken door lock, and put towels in it sprayed with calming spray and catnip. He went right in, laid down and got all relaxed...thank goodness it went well because I was so afraid he'd freak out get reblocked again.

Luckily all went well. I stuck to the back roads instead of the highway and talked to him the whole time (he was in the back of my SUV with the seats folded flat. I brought him in, put him in the spare room (which has just enough spare space for a dog crate) and set it up with a bed, blanket, litter box, wet/dry food and water. He got right in and curled up in the bed and has been there most of the day.

I gave him his anti-spasmodal meds and pain killers at 2PM and he did well with that. He has 3 more days of medications for the tapeworm, which was what I suspected with the rapid weight loss prior to the asthma event. I double checked my medicine and it was for roundworms only...not tapeworms.

Now my two indoor cats are curious of course...."Church" the nebelung with cataracts who was also a barn rescue case, wants nothing to do with the visitor in the front room (funny, since he knows Bingo from back when he lived at the farm. Of course, Church was around 8 lbs lighter and didn't have all that long hair because of starvation so he probably looks like a totally different cat).

Romeo, my 20lb black smokey Maine Coon, is being a total ass. He's pounding on the door and meowing, running around like crazy, trying to break into the room (succeeding once) and when he got in he was interested mostly in the big bag of Friskies Grillin' flavored dry food. I gave him a few pieces (he gets Blue Buffalo grain free limited ingredient indoor healthy food) and he ate them like a pig and barfed on the rug 5 minutes later. He's like Garfield only black with long hair. Now he's mopey because he thinks I got another cat, so I'm having to give him extra attention

So as of now it's a happy ending...but the next hurdle is the barn is moving locations at the end of the month. Bingo and his sister Leelah will go with me to the new barn. Mickey the bengal cross will (hopefully) be caught and will go to a barn with lots of cats that the owner feeds daily. The most feral of the bunch, Julius, Tidbit and Topaz the tomcat will stay behind since they can hunt. Punkin, who is Bingo and Leelah's brother (the runt) will stay also. He is small, has worms and fleas and I can only get near him at mealtimes. I'm afraid the trauma of catching and relocating him will cause a blockage like with Bingo.

I will continue to go to the old barn and put out food for them until either a new tenant moves in, or I find the cats no longer meet me for food when I show up. I'd like to find homes for them or move them, but honestly those four are the most feral and their home is in the barn and the woods and it might be devastating to move them.

On other news, in talking with another boarder at the barn about what happened to Bingo, she remembered that weird smell too that I thought was paint or something. She said the people across the back of the property were doing something to their little lean-to shed and were using some kind of glue and she smelled it too....I am 99% sure that breathing that glue is what set off the asthma attack that almost killed Bingo. I now have a rescue inhaler for him that I will keep at the new barn if I or anyone else sees him wheezing. Luckily, my trainer is also a full time vet tech so she knows what to look for as well.

Thank you to everyone for the support through this long week...I dread the credit card bill next month...but my buddy Bingo is still here and very thankful.

IMG_4005.JPG