Former Outoor Cat Litterbox Issues

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I have 4 cats, 3 males and a female. One of them is a former outdoor cat (Tigey) that adopted us almost 2 years ago.

Here's the problem. We used to live in TN, where Tigey, our former outdoor cat had a pretty big backyard to hang out in. We had gotten to the point where he was pretty much like a dog, he meowed in the morning to go out, he got to stay out for a good part of the day, and came in at night and whenever he was hungry. When we had to be gone for more than a day or so, we usually boarded him with the vet and the vet said he "used the litterbox like a champ"

About 3 weeks ago, we moved to the Chicago area, and I don't feel comfortable letting Tigey outside anymore. I'm afraid he'll run away or get lost, and I just think it's safer for him to be inside. At first, he seemed ok, it's a muli level house, so the cats aren't on top of eachother, I also bought a ton of toys to try and keep him entertained, and I've given all the cats full access to our screened in porch area in the back of the house. But....we can't get tigey to consistently use a litterbox, and I don't know what to do.

We have 5 boxes, two upstairs and three down, and they're all large and cleaned daily, and we have both covered and uncovered boxes. (We have a couple of high pee-ers) 2 of them even have training litter in them. I've seen Tigey use the box, I know he can do it, and some days he does fine. Other days he just poops right in front of the box or pees in a corner or on the carpet somewhere and I just can't figure out what to do about it.

I can't give him up, he's one of my babies just like the other 3 are. He doesn't have any health problems, it just seems like he's quite determined to pee and poop wherever he wants and it's driving me crazy.

Help?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing I'd do is buy Cat Attract litter (Dr. Elsley's Cat Attract Litter). You can find a dealer here: http://www.preciouscat.com/

That said - has he been to a vet since you've moved? Stress can cause all kinds of things, and moving and being kept inside is definitely stressful. They would need a sample of his poop and his pee.

You're sure he has no parasites? You were using Advantage Plus or Revolution on him? He's been given Drontal for tape worm? (Those two don't work for tapes).

If he gets a clean bill of health (he is neutered, right?), the next step is to confine him to one room (preferably with windows!) with two litter boxes. Use the Cat Attract litter. When training ferals, we usually put a layer of leaves or potting soil (no additives) over the top of the litter so it's something they're used to - but often the Cat Attract alone (and keeping the boxes really clean) will do the trick if he's already using the box.

I would invest in some Feliway/Comfort Zone spray to help him during the transition, and maybe some Bach's Rescue Remedy to add drops to his water.

Also, you've been cleaning the soiled spots with an enzyme cleaner? That is the ONLY way to clean up the scent to a cat's nose. It may take more than one treatment. We use this one (it can only be ordered online): http://www.nokout.com

And that was wonderful of you to bring him - and he WILL adjust to being indoors only! Just make sure to give him a lot of play and attention. You may also want to invest in some bird feeders to turn your windows into Cat TV.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You definitely don't want to let him outside during that first month or so especially. He hasn't adjusted to this as his home yet and probably would run away, not understanding.

I'd first put plastic down on the carpets, anywhere you can. to minimise damage to your rugs. From there I'd increase the number of litter boxes. He does use them sometimes; are there places outside the boxes that he consistently goes in? I'd place litter boxes in these places. This is going to be a gradual training process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The first thing I'd do is buy Cat Attract litter (Dr. Elsley's Cat Attract Litter). You can find a dealer here: http://www.preciouscat.com/
We've been using Cat Attract for months. It doesn't really seem to be helping.

That said - has he been to a vet since you've moved? Stress can cause all kinds of things, and moving and being kept inside is definitely stressful. They would need a sample of his poop and his pee.

You're sure he has no parasites? You were using Advantage Plus or Revolution on him? He's been given Drontal for tape worm? (Those two don't work for tapes).

If he gets a clean bill of health (he is neutered, right?), the next step is to confine him to one room (preferably with windows!) with two litter boxes. Use the Cat Attract litter. When training ferals, we usually put a layer of leaves or potting soil (no additives) over the top of the litter so it's something they're used to - but often the Cat Attract alone (and keeping the boxes really clean) will do the trick if he's already using the box.
He has a clean bill of health, and as I mentioned before, the boxes, all 5 of them, are cleaned at least once a day. I tried confining him before but after a day I couldn't stand him crying and had to let him out. If I have to, I'll do it again.

I would invest in some Feliway/Comfort Zone spray to help him during the transition, and maybe some Bach's Rescue Remedy to add drops to his water.
We tried Feliway awhile ago when we were still in TN to try and get all the male cats to get along (they had a hard time accepting Tigey) Tigey actually avoided the area where we had the diffuser completely and didn't want to come inside as much he really didn't take to it at all.

Also, you've been cleaning the soiled spots with an enzyme cleaner? That is the ONLY way to clean up the scent to a cat's nose. It may take more than one treatment. We use this one (it can only be ordered online): http://www.nokout.com
Yup, that's all we use, we go through gallons of the stuff.

And that was wonderful of you to bring him - and he WILL adjust to being indoors only! Just make sure to give him a lot of play and attention. You may also want to invest in some bird feeders to turn your windows into Cat TV.
I hope so, I'm 7 months pregnant and I want to get this settled before the baby comes.

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by merrytreecats

You definitely don't want to let him outside during that first month or so especially. He hasn't adjusted to this as his home yet and probably would run away, not understanding.

I'd first put plastic down on the carpets, anywhere you can. to minimise damage to your rugs. From there I'd increase the number of litter boxes. He does use them sometimes; are there places outside the boxes that he consistently goes in? I'd place litter boxes in these places. This is going to be a gradual training process.
I don't plan on letting him out at all.

Putting plastic down would be a trick because entire rooms are carpeted, I'm not even sure how to make that work. We already have 5 litterboxes, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern, except for directly in front of a litterbox to where he's going.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When Spooky was peeing in front of the litter boxes, we bought those door mats that are made of plastic and kind of spikey. We cut them in half and put them in front of the litter box. She stopped going in front of the boxes.

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

When Spooky was peeing in front of the litter boxes, we bought those door mats that are made of plastic and kind of spikey. We cut them in half and put them in front of the litter box. She stopped going in front of the boxes.
I'll try that, thank you.

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bit of an update: Tigey has been pooping in the box regularly for the past few days, but he still pees on the carpet almost daily.

I'm going to take him back to the vet tomorrow just to make triple sure there's nothing wrong.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katiemarie

Bit of an update: Tigey has been pooping in the box regularly for the past few days, but he still pees on the carpet almost daily.

I'm going to take him back to the vet tomorrow just to make triple sure there's nothing wrong.
Thank you for doing that - a clean bill of health given a little while ago doesn't mean he doesn't have an UTI. That can happen any time, and is a very common reason why cats pee out of the box. Olease make sure to ask for an urine test.

katiemarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update....we took him to the vet and $200 and an overnight stay later, just as I figured, no UTI, clean bill of health.

But now he seems to be going backwards and pooping outside the box too. We have him confined to our laundry room right now where there are 3 litterboxes plus his food and water. He's not a happy boy and his meowing is making me feel like the worst mommy in the world.

I just don't know what else to do.