Former feral doesn't like wet food now

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Patches (former feral - has been isolated in spare room for 2 months now) would eat anything under the sun when I was feeding her outside - tuna, sardines, wet cat food, etc. Now that she's inside, she does not touch wet food. For weeks, I would split a 6 oz can between her and the 8 month old kitten at dinner time (variety of brands, flavors, textures) and 9/10 times, nothing would be touched (she would nibble a little sometimes and a few times, she actually ate it all). The last several weeks of feeding her wet, she would not touch it at all, so I just stopped offering her wet, feeling defeated. She eats her dry food just fine - successfully switched her from Target brand to Wellness adult and she is doing well.

I'd like to try again to get her to eat wet food to keep her as healthy as possible. Are there are any wet foods (brands/flavor suggestions) that are just absolutely irresistible to most kitties? Should I try heating up the wet food so it smells more? Any secrets to make it more enticing? I've thought about maybe looking into supplementing her diet with raw since she's used to that, but would much prefer regular canned if possible. Her eating area isn't exposed so she should feel safe there, so I don't think "safety" is a concern of hers. I don't want to limit dry and 'force' her to eat wet to thrive - that would not help establish trust right now. (I'm socializing her and she is a very shy scared kitty.)

Eventually she'll have full access to house and it'll be another challenge to not have Batman (8 month old, one of her kittens - who just adores wet food) eat up all her wet food when it's time for wet food feeding time - but that is another challenge down the road - if I can even get her to eat wet.

Thanks!!!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, KillerApple.

Have you tried sprinkling freeze-dried 100% meat treats over the wet food? Cats seem to find these pretty irresistible and they soak up some of the moisture from the food, so they're hard to lick off.

Quite a few companies make similar products, but I have used "Stella and Chewy's" and "Whole Life" flavors to good affect. They're a bit expensive, but I find them invaluable for tempting a reluctant kitty to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Hi, KillerApple.

Have you tried sprinkling freeze-dried 100% meat treats over the wet food? Cats seem to find these pretty irresistible and they soak up some of the moisture from the food, so they're hard to lick off.

Quite a few companies make similar products, but I have used "Stella and Chewy's" and "Whole Life" flavors to good affect. They're a bit expensive, but I find them invaluable for tempting a reluctant kitty to eat.
No, I haven't! Thanks for the idea! I'll check them out next time I'm at the pet store and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by killerapple

No, I haven't! Thanks for the idea! I'll check them out next time I'm at the pet store and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
My pleasure.
I feed a raw frankenprey diet and I'd be completely lost without Whole Life's freeze-dried chicken.

I'll be watching for your follow-up!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll tell you, Ginger loved wet food for weeks she ate it while pregnant and then right along side her kittens, she'd steal theirs. After her babies left I couldn't get her to touch wet food. So I just let it go for about 3 months. I then offered it again one day and she took it. Same thing I'd been giving before. Not sure what turned her off for those 3 months.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I'll tell you, Ginger loved wet food for weeks she ate it while pregnant and then right along side her kittens, she'd steal theirs. After her babies left I couldn't get her to touch wet food. So I just let it go for about 3 months. I then offered it again one day and she took it. Same thing I'd been giving before. Not sure what turned her off for those 3 months.

Leslie
I call it the older feral funny eating regime... have it here too... my domestics eat wet no issue ... semis on the other hand the moon needs to be aligned or something