Foreign matter in furball - can anyone identify?

Imamunky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My black cat has frequent furballs, always has. But a few times a year, I find bits of something weird in her furballs.

My vet has seen it. They couldn't identify it but weren't worried. It kind of looks like chicken skin? I just want to figure out what it is (and make sure we don't need a second opinion. Pics attached.
20220615_145149.jpg
20220615_145126.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Is she an indoor/outdoor kitty? That looks a little like either something plastic, or bits of a bee hive.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Is chicken skin logical, insofar as your cat ate some....intentionally or not? The lumps look irregular to me, but whatever this is has been in her stomach. It is not part of something that had indentations on it? She is okay, otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imamunky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's indoor only and seems totally normal/healthy.

She eats canned food. Its possible byproduct in the food, but I've broken up a few cans and never found anything like it. She doesn't get any people food, and other than a plant she chews on, I've never seen her sneak any foods.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the material that the hairball is laying on made from?

It kind of looks like bubble wrap, but why it's a solid color, and not transparent is odd.
Maybe the lining, in some brown manila envelopes?

Shelf paper, like Furballsmom, mentioned...does come to mind...any type of liner, actually.
Definitely looks like plastic, and thankfully, it has moved through her, and not caused any issues.

Can you put on some plastic gloves, takes some tweezers, and pull apart the whole hairball bundle.
Then try pulling apart the 'unidentified cat vomitus object'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Imamunky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the material that the hairball is laying on made from?

It kind of looks like bubble wrap, but why it's a solid color, and not transparent is odd.
Maybe the lining, in some brown manila envelopes?

Shelf paper, like Furballsmom, mentioned...does come to mind...any type of liner, actually.
Definitely looks like plastic, and thankfully, it has moved through her, and not caused any issues.

Can you put on some plastic gloves, takes some tweezers, and pull apart the whole hairball bundle.
Then try pulling apart the 'unidentified cat vomitus object'.
The furball is on a Bounty paper towel. It's odd that the verigation os similar, but definitely coincidence. And we don't have any longer like that in the house.

The substance feels a lot softer than plastic, more like tougher bits of chicken skin (and equally tearable), which is why I considered byproduct. But I also think it'd be weird for such big pieces to end up in her food.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The furball is on a Bounty paper towel. It's odd that the verigation os similar, but definitely coincidence. And we don't have any longer like that in the house.

The substance feels a lot softer than plastic, more like tougher bits of chicken skin (and equally tearable), which is why I considered byproduct. But I also think it'd be weird for such big pieces to end up in her food.
Yeah, I've seen by-products in food, but usually only small bits of bone or cartilage.

*Maybe you should call the company up, and ask about the 'batch number', and where they are sourcing and producing their food.
Who knows, it could very well be a mistake, in the production line. 🤔

I even thought, since you mentioned that your cat likes to chew on a particular plant,...that some plants have those 'labels that stick out' made from various plastics, but you'd definitely notice if a 'plant label' was missing.

Even indoor cats, though, can catch mice...if the unlucky mouse makes it's way inside, and towards any food sources, or warmth, etc.
But I don't think that mice have any parts of their bodies that look like that. None that I can think of. :think:

I hope you solve this 'cat furball mystery'.
Good Luck. :goodluck:
And glad that your cat is acting all normal, and herself, too. :)

(My two black cats are shedding like crazy this year. So is the black dog.
Even with daily brushing, it seems like the fur is endless. :blackcat::blackcat::bluepaw:)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Usually if there are larger chunks in the food, the kitty will eat around it, not eat it. That looks like a foreign object from something in the house. Do any of her toys have a similar pattern or piece to them?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, it looks like a piece of plastic, of some type.. a toy, a ball.. like a piece of something that has been chewed off.
Any packaging, on cosmetics, or a sponge? something which has a 'waffle' type pattern. Or a piece of clothing?

My guy, has PICA, and is addicted to all plastics. I have seem many plastic things in his vomit.