For those of you with a pet stroller

ruby35

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about getting one. But my concern is that the cats will like being outside enough that they will try to run outside whenever I open the door.

What has been your experience?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
yep, think you are right in your concern ... what they don't know won't hurt them - they won't become familiar enough to want more and then try it by themselves

with ours - no outdoor exposure except in a carrier - usually to and from the vet

when we open the door they are fearful of what's out there and this keeps them from rushing out the door when it's opened

but, hey - that's just my thoughts - wouldn't push it on anyone else

I do make sure they have plenty of opportunity to sit in a window for fresh air and sunshine, though.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat I think. I have one cat Church who I used to take out fairly often on a leash or a stroller as a kitten and he began to get very interested whenever I opened the door, so I had to be careful he didn't run outside. He actually did get out once when a family member was letting the dog inside, luckily he stopped on the porch when I called his name so I was able to grab him! My other cat Roxy is the same age as him and I used to take her out in the stroller with Church as a kitten but she did not have the same fascination with the door/outdoors as Church had.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine go out less often when I open the door when I take them out on a leash, it removes the mystique of it. They still do but mine don't dash(and never have) they stay on the porch and let me pick them up and put them inside or go to the door and wait for me to open it to let them go back in.

Taryn

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are harness trained, and I take them out into a fenced yard, (my door leads straight to the yard), supervised only. They don't dash out the door at other times, nor do they fuss to get out, they know they will be taken out when it's nice and I have time.

They also come back in when I say its time to go back in. I am fortunate that I have this nice little yard and my landlord let me put up the 6 foot fence. If I didn't have this kind of set up my cats would be strictly indoor, as they always were before I lived here and started harness training and taking them out.

I originally started doing it because I was working 70 hours a week. I love to putter in my gardens, but I had so little home time in those days, I felt so bad to be out working in the garden, taking myself away from them, when they only had me for not very much time to begin with.

I thought, if I could bring them out with me, that would be the perfect solution. And it has been. I don't work quite so much any more but we enjoy long sunny summer afternoons in our yard, they do their thing while I work in my gardens, or read my book.