For Those Of You That Run/donate To Rescues...

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Admin: If this is in the wrong area/not allowed, please let me know and I will take down this post.

My mom's local shelter recently had an influx of about 90 animals from a terrible animal hording situation in the county. Like most places in the southern US, they are constantly overrun with strays (especially cats) as is, so suddenly getting another almost 100 is really straining the shelter. The community has done a good job of rallying so far- lots of cash/general supplies have been donated, which is amazing!

My mom and I wish to contribute. If we want to spend, say, $100 between the two of us, what supplies should we get? For those of you that run or work in shelters, what items are often overlooked? Where is the best place to get some decent wet food and kibble for the animals?

Thank you in advance! Here is the news article. They were finding cats and kitten in cabinets. :(

Tiger man charged with cruelty to animals – Sky 96.3

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • The best thing would be to call the shelter and ask what their most pressing needs are.
Yeah, I'll second that. Money is usually the most helpful, because then they can buy exactly what they need, and sometimes rescues get special prices so they can actually buy more with your money than you can. But if it's a municipal shelter, they may not be allowed to use cash donations (the one here can't; all cash goes to the general city fund). So ask. If they, for some reason, can't tell you, here's a pretty average wish list from a shelter: Wish List - Sioux Falls Area Humane Society