Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

For The Birds

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Animals' started by susanm9006, Oct 11, 2018.

1. susanm9006

susanm9006 Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    Like a lot of cat owners I have a couple of bird feeders because watching them is enjoyable for both me and Willow. But along with birds comes squirrels. While also entertaining they can be expensive if they steal all the bird seed and last year they actually broke an expensive feeder by jumping off the roof onto it dozens of times. I do feed them corn every day but what they want is the expensive sunflower seeds in the bird feeders.

But several weeks ago my local bird store introduced me to Golden Safflower. It has a thinner shell than white safflower, so little birds like Chickadees will eat it and it turns out all my visiting birds from wrens to Cardinals and even woodpeckers love it. And best of all the squirrels have no interest at all in it. It runs a couple dollars a pound but I go through so much less seed that cost wise it’s about the same. And much less cleanup as well since the husks are so tiny they just blow away. Definitely worth trying!

PushPurrCatPaws, 1 bruce 1 and BlueJay purraised this.

2. Furballsmom

Furballsmom TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 9, 2018
    Colorado USA
    Oh, wow, I have a birdfeeding relation who'll be thrilled with this because she not only has squirrels, she has to constantly tell her dog to stop eating the fallen husks LOL - thank you!!

3. susanm9006

Feb 20, 2011
    Yeah, Furballsmom, those sunflower seeds are a mess to cleanup and an aweful lot of fiber for a dog.

Furballsmom purraised this.

4. neely

neely TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    We had the same problem with squirrels but even more of a nuisance were the raccoons. Do you know if raccoons would be attracted to Golden Sunflower seeds?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

5. susanm9006

Feb 20, 2011
    I don’t know about raccoons, never seen them in my property

6. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    We don't get squirrels, but I usually feed wild birds in the colder months daily and occasionally in the warmer months (they have a lot of worms and bugs to eat. Let 'em catch their own grub, ha!)
    We use a mixture of I don't know what from a feed store that has bird food that attracts all kinds, but one year I fed them daily late and later that summer we were over run with sunflowers from those seeds. Sunflowers are cool (mostly when they get 70 feet high) but enough is enough!
    Next time I go to the feed store I'll ask if they have it. I've never heard of it and it sounds like it might attract more birds, which is always nice.

7. maggie101

maggie101 3 cats Top Cat

Apr 20, 2014
    Houston,TX
    I will check that out. Never seen golden safflower. I feed humming birds,cardinals,blue jays, wrens,northern mocking Bird, great crested fly catcher,tuffed titmouse,chipping sparrow,house finch,house sparrow,variety of woodpeckers,purple martin,starlings,dovesgrackles, and red winged black Bird. Even the brown headed cow Bird