For Siamese owners: My cat doesn't know how to "cat"!

janneb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, 

It's been a long time since I've posted anything here, but I just thought I'd pop in and see if I can get any advice from those of you with Siamese or otherwise cats with major personality. 

Boba Cat... how do I describe him? He's like no cat I've ever met. He is "chill" in the sense that he is fearless, social, etc but so not "chill" in the sense that he has boundless energy. He has so much kitten in him... and is 16 months. He still enjoys leaping out of hiding to chase our legs. Oh he is hilarious b/c he loves it so much. He plays soccer goalie with us (jumping 4 feet in the air to block a toy from soaring over him). Boba is part Siamese-- and I think perhaps part ragdoll but his full grown size (he SHOULD be ~11 lbs) has me doubting that. 

We have had some rough patches (if you read my other feeds-- naming him after a bounty hunter certainly fits him!) but have come to some sort of understanding. He does not want to be held hardly ever. NEVER touch his belly (which I know is common with cats). Pretty much don't touch him unless he initiates. Let's just say we've seen a lot of improvement-- he no longer comes to bite us unprovoked (although we have seen some scary episodes of re-directed aggression when the above understanding was not followed).  We recently moved out of our apartment into a house, and so he has more room to move around and play. However, his energy has NOT changed a bit. And, he is such a bully about his food (we're working on that). I should mention he is a lover-- just would rather sit next to us, be in the room, than receive actual physical touch. 

When I say he doesn't know how to "cat," what I mean is that he isn't like the cliche cat (while he still is disinterested in catnip, at least now he likes tuna!). On the weekends, he is passed out almost the whole day. But when the week days come, he spends many days awake for hours and hours. Today is especially notable-- every few minutes he's back in my office (I work from home), chirping or meowing plaintively. And then he goes through a series of actions trying to get my attention-- Chewing on stuff, scratching coats hanging off the chair, the blanket I'm using, the window shade. He goes to jump on the counter and every other surface he's not allowed on. He's a dang smart cat. 

I'm not complaining about him being annoying and I'm not even saying this is a problem. I signed up for this :D I just wonder if you others have seen your cats spend soooo much time awake and active for the morning half of the day. I think it's a "PLAY WITH ME" call, but why doesn't he do this on the weekends or the evenings? Not to mention, I try to play with him in between work projects, and clicker train to engage his mind, but it doesn't always help. He often plays by himself and has plenty of toys. Does he literally just want me to work from the couch so he can sit next to me? Does he just feel more calm when my husband is home (weekends, evenings)? 

*note: he does this whether his food bowl is full or empty, so he's not begging for that. Since he is so social (loves other animals, though we don't have any others ourselves), I would love to get him a friend someday-- but that isn't going to happen this year. 

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wish I had more time to post, and perhaps will reply again later, but it sounds like you are doing all the right stuff and sometimes our fur kids need to learn limits just as our real children do.  Maybe when its just you and Boba he thinks you should spend quality time hanging out, and when your spouse is home, then he respects the two of you are spending time together?  I have a ragdoll.  She doesn't like to be held, but does like tummy rubs when I get home from work only (sometimes when I am going potty),.  She is very curious about everything, and I don't have a clicker, but she has learned numerous tricks.  She loves going for a walk on her leash outdoors and even climbs trees on her leash (well now off leash because she comes when called, but for the first year on leash).  Taking her for a walk usually gets me a little quiet time.  Any toy that has a ball or other object she cannot get to will occupy her for hours.  I know you said you have a lot of toys for Boba, but with Puffy cat, she is a slave to the red dot, and we have an auto laser light that I can turn on and she will chase it till it goes off and then eat, curl up and have a nap.  Not so with my Ragdoll, but I have a couple of track toys, and one scratcher box that has holes in the side she can stick her paws in and bat around the ball, but she is not able to get it out.  That is what keeps her attention.  Regardless of what toy it is, you need to have a toy that is just for when you want to work, and put the cat, and the toy in the other room and if she continues to bug ya, you might need to shut her out.  My Ragdoll HATEs it when I shut my bedroom door, but cat's only think we are their slaves, really and truly,. we are in control.  Just keep reminding yourself of that.  Kitty will adjust. 

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, he sounds a lot like my 11mo old Siamese/Tokenese, Blue.  Blue is *very* energetic and acrobatic.  She will attack my socks, pouncing and biting them, which I wouldn't notice, except I usually wearing them at the time!  She lives in a house with 3 other cats, including her mom and sister....and still needs more playtime.  Laser pointers, Da Bird, stuff I've built from the remains of destroyed toys of yesteryear...etc.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(Sorry, still not used to how these forums work.  Continuing my prior post)

When I look at Blue, her eyes are almost always dilated..she's *always* ready for whatever.

As for why he is calmer with your Husband around in the evenings / weekends....not sure.  There must definitely be something about the energy or dynamics of the house when he's around.  Or maybe, when you are there alone working on the computer, he thinks you look bored and sad, and just wants to cheer you up? :-)