For Irving, My Sunshine

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never knew Irving as a kitten- he entered my life as an adult cat, belonging to someone I was dating at the time. I tried not to get attached, but slowly and tentatively, a friendship formed. I made sure his food and water no longer went empty, I tended to the litter box that seemed to have been forgotten. He was a quiet cat, street smart and independent, never demanding but always appreciative of attention. When it was time for the humans to part ways, I asked to keep Irving in my care and thankfully, my wish was granted.

He was never a pet to me- he was always a friend. Through all manner of trials and tribulations, he was there. There was never a moment he was not in the same room as I, and he was usually always within reach. We lived in perfect harmony together, content. He was the last thing I saw every night, and the first thing I saw every morning. I was never happier than when he'd lay next to me and purr, happy to just me near me. He never asked for much, and in return I gave him my heart.

He slowed down a little, but it was easy to forget his age. Sometimes I would count the years and find myself shocked at how much time had gone, and find myself dreading the day. Always on cue, he would curl up to me and purr, and tearfully I would sing to him-

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away"

This year was a hard one, loosing equine friends at work and then later in the spring I lost a friend. My mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and shortly after, declined rapidly and passed away. Irving saw me through it all, and was my little ray of light through the dark. I could not shake my anxiety, though, and found myself singing to him more and more. I begged him not to go, not yet. He was my sunshine, my only sunshine...

Irving was a quiet cat. Always stoic, always strong. For a week after my mother's passing, Irving slept in the spare room that had been "hers." He'd see me off to bed, cuddle for a while, and then go to sleep on her bed. If I called to him, he'd come, and then go back. This made me anxious but after that week, our usual routine resumed. I wondered if he knew my mother had gone somehow, and was just keeping her company. It was only a month since she passed, when I came home from work and was not greeted at the door. When I found him, I felt my heart instantly shatter and knew without a doubt that he was gone. I buried my face into his fur as I had done so many times before, and sang to him one last time.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
Please don't take my sunshine away

The other night dear, as I lay sleepin'
I dreamed, I held you by my side
When I awoke dear, I was mistaken
And I hung my head and I cry

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
Please don't take my sunshine away"

For 13 years, he had been my entire world, my everything, the last thing in this world that I loved. I imagined my heart as a bubble, fragile and beautiful as it swelled with love for him. Bigger and bigger it grew until finally, at the moment of his passing, it burst. I felt as if my heart was forever frozen at that moment of utter annihilation, suspended in a million beautiful fragments. I am stuck, free falling without him. I know in time, the pain will be a little easier to carry, but never gone. And I don't want it to be. He will always have my heart, and when I feel at my darkest I will think of him and whisper- "you are my sunshine."

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful way to honor your best friend, with such a lovely tribute to him.

Irving, baby, you fulfilled your duties to the utmost and beyond, being there as long as you could possibly be, with grace, charm and love.

RIP darling cat. You were one in a million.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful way to honor your best friend, with such a lovely tribute to him.

Irving, baby, you fulfilled your duties to the utmost and beyond, being there as long as you could possibly be, with grace, charm and love.

RIP darling cat. You were one in a million.
Thank you. He truly, truly was, and I am so blessed to have known him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course your heart is shattered, your sunshine is hidden under a cloud of grief. Grief comes with the loss of something so precious, and time is the only thing that helps to heal a broken heart, but a scar remains behind to always remind us.
There comes a time when those we love have to answer another call, to follow a new path, we are so blessed to have shared our life's journey for a while. That new path they follow will always parallel your own, Irving and your mom, all those who we have shared a piece of your heart with, they will always be as near as your prayers. Love is spiritual, not bound by the laws of death like the frail physical body, so therefor eternal. "death cannot take that which never dies" and you know you will always love that sweet boy and have your precious memories to comfort you. The bond you developed with him can never be taken from you. He is at peace now, peace that comes from satisfaction of a life well lived, full of love and sharing, of giving love and receiving it back fourfold. He world never want you to be so sad, just as you would want if you were the first to go, go forward into life, find joy in living once more and send him these thoughts ,because he needs to know the one he loves so much is going to be alright, that his love brought you happiness, not pain. That his life was so much more important and lasting than the thoughts of his end and the sadness that brought.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much this hurts. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, your sweet boy is safe on the lap of your mother, and they both will be watched over and loved until you meet again.
RIP precious Irving. You will always be the sunshine in your loved one's life, let that light bring comfort to the one who misses you so dearly. ay the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are one of the lucky humans who can feel friendship and grief. For happiness and pain are related each other.

Imagine Irving was never in your life. Imagine you have no friends and no mama. Would have been that a better situation for you than the current one?

For humans and all Creatures who feel they are related each other, who feel Love as an inner feeling, they cant speak about, there is always a new beginning. Nobody know how this new beginning will show up (I wish I could), but it always show up.

As you said: every single day there is a new sunshine, we regret the sunshine of today and patiently wait for the sunshine of tomorrow.

Of course, between the today and tomorrow there is night, and we have to accept and value the night. Simply because without night, there would be no tomorrow's sunshine.

Head bow here, my tears and tuna can.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Irving, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Oh, my Dear. They bring us such joy, and then such grief, and you have had to say "goodby" far too often lately, haven't you? I will tell you this, and it is true of ALL of your losses. Love never dies. It simply changes form and continues on, still Love. Love abides, and your loved ones are with you still. Irving has now put off that heavy coat of flesh and fur that could no longer support his great heart and sweet spirit. He dances on sunshine now, free and joyous, in a place where time has no meaning. He dances there, waiting for that moment when, in the fullness of time, you also shed that coat of flesh and dance with him in joyous reunion. Dance on, precious friend. Dance always.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, this one really hit home and made the tears come, I am so so sorry that you lost your mom and now your little friend, but they both are fine now and they are together, taking care of each other and watching over you from above, but it hurts so badly that you too feel as if you will just die and really don't care if you do, but one day, slowly but surely, that sun will come out again and one day you all will be reunited and it will be grand.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

Your little Sunshine is with you and always will be, keep singing to him. I am so sorry you lost him, and whenever it is a tuxedo it hurts me even more, my baby boy Sylvester is one too as you can see.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words, and allowing me to share my special boy with you. I don't think I'll ever meet another cat quite like him, but I will always be grateful for the time we had together. Although, I do think I will forever have a little soft spot for those dashing kitties who sport a tux.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words, and allowing me to share my special boy with you. I don't think I'll ever meet another cat quite like him, but I will always be grateful for the time we had together. Although, I do think I will forever have a little soft spot for those dashing kitties who sport a tux.
:agree: :) :rbheart:

Pook

Litterbox Queen
Young Cat
Purraise
Dear Irving,

You're over the Rainbow Bridge now. All of us here grieve of your passing and hurt for the loss of you. But be alert, and have one ear trained to the Bridge.

While you are free of pain, and running happily with all our pets and those who were never blessed with humans, but all healthy and well ...

Keep an ear trained. Someday your precious human, your Diana Faye Diana Faye will come. You will see her, and run to her and you both will cross the Bridge, paws in gentle hands, and you will at last be together again.

With very much love
A Friend

(You will meet us later)