Foods with small kibble size for cat with few teeth?

ilmcr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here as a poster but have been a long time reader. My question is whether 4Health or Taste of the Wild have small kibbles?

My cats are currently eating Science Diet Age Defying, which has very small kibbles for my 15 year old who had most of his teeth removed when diagnosed with stomatitis. We feed him his daily needs in canned food but has always been a dry food junkie and just won't stop eating the free fed dry also. All of our cats are older and the small pea type kibble just seems to be the best. Three or four bags into Science Diet, the cats are throwing up a lot, so I'm ready to switch asap.

If TOTW or 4Health aren't small kibbles, could anyone offer other suggestions? I just need to keep within a similar price range.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orijen seems to have small kibble. Don't know about the others.

Many pet stores will offer money back policies on open bags of food. They understand the unpredictability of pets.

Last edited:

cottagekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats with stomatitis, my heart goes out to you and your kitty. Fromm kibble is very small and round. Also not overly expensive IMO.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you just try to make the dry a little moist?

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the time he passed away, Mr. Grimsby only had five teeth left in his head. I fed him Royal Canin Oral Sensitive. Perhaps it's softer than most; I don't know. He could mash the kibble with his gums. He did not, thankfully, have stomatitis, though.

He always loved that food, as does our slightly overweight, now senior Bertha - probably because it's calorie dense ;-)

Good luck with finding the right kibble for your guy.

Best regards.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wetting dry food is not recommended because of the bacterial load. It is more than wet food and opens up the risk of bacterial poisoning.
Ahh, I mix my kitties canned food with some dry but they eat it all at once. It doesn't sit around at all. If she grazes I understand this would be unhealthy.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is Freshpet Select. It is a refrigerated food that comes in softer kibble-size bites. If you do go with this brand, however, note that it is very low calories, so you will have to feed more.

wolfpatch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ideal Balance has some small kibbles. Also, Premium Edge has some small kibble and more reasonably priced for a good decent quality food. You can get several types of Premium Edge at chewy, other online retailers, or some local feed and pet stores

Link to Premium Edge at Chewy: http://www.chewy.com/cat/dry-food-388/brand_facet:Premium Edge

Link to Premium Edge website: http://www.premiumedgepetfood.com/

You really don't need to worry about the kibble to much. Cats are perfectly fine swallowing dry foods that have round kibbles. I have seen cats with no teeth go at a bowl of dry food with no problems.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

There is Freshpet Select. It is a refrigerated food that comes in softer kibble-size bites. If you do go with this brand, however, note that it is very low calories, so you will have to feed more.
I tried this on my cat and, unfortunately, she did not even want to try it or go anywhere near it. $5-$6/bag. =/

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Nature's Variety's Pride line of dry food is small, though the pieces are triangular in shape. But, very easy for cats (and baby kittens) to pick up and eat. I actually use this food vs. Royal Canin's BabyCat when introducing dry food. I buy mine from Chewy.com.

Fromm is another food with small pieces.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm not sure your cat needs kibble that's smaller? We ran an article about toothless cats a while ago and members reported no issue with feeding any kind of food, including regular dry food - 

[article="30192"]Can Cats Manage Without Their Teeth​[/article]  

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are very particular about the size & shape of kibble .  Although they have all of their teeth they do prefer small kibble . They were eating Purina One Smartblend but I wanted to get them a higher quality kibble . They are now eating a mixture of Wysong Uretic & Wysong Optimal Vitality  . The pieces are very small x-shaped . They really like it a lot ..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet turkey. I don't buy dry food often and now use it more as a treat instead of Temptations or something like that. They are pretty small pieces

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cats are very particular about the size & shape of kibble .  
So is mine! Although smell apparently is also huge for her, even when it comes to kibble. For the original poster, just in case it helps, you can get a 15 lbs bag of Orijen for a good price online if you take advantage of first time offers or coupon codes when they have some like on petflow.com or chewy.com. For petflow.com, I've recently discovered that if you leave something in your cart, you'll get an email later with an offer of 20% off. The final cost might still be too much since you have multiple cats? Orijen kibble is nice and small.

For people who buy Wellness cat food, codes right now to use on petflow.com: "20WELL" for 20% off one-time orders. Free shipping is over $49+. If you sign up for auto ship orders, "30WELL" is for 30% off. Otherwise, there is a first time coupon code if you sign up with your email for the first time.