Foods For Fussy Cat With Cystitis/UTIs?

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking for foods that will help my eight year old male cat Hal. He has recurring UTIs and cystitis and I am also worried about him becoming underweight or malnourished. Since he has been taken off kibble he hasn't been eating enough on a regular basis. Hal really preferred to eat kibble, grain-free higher protein foods like Orijen or Acana. He is very fussy when it comes to eating wet food. I don't want him to have urinary tract issues, of course, but then I also don't want him to become too thin or develop fatty liver disease because he doesn't eat enough. Any advice about foods or supplements or anything that could help reduce stress would be appreciated.

Hal's recent history: This past year he had several instances where he had bloody urine outside the litter box. He needed antibiotics twice for UTIs and for the other vet visits he received anti-inflammatory meds and sub-q fluids, as it was determined he had cystitis and not an infection. When he was first diagnosed with cystitis I wanted to wean him off dry food. He lost a lot of weight between August and December, primarily from not eating as much. The vet was concerned there might be another reason for the weight-loss, like he could have diabetes or another serious condition, and blood work revealed he had a high white cell count, but everything else looked good. He had "cat flu" in December, when he had the blood work done. The back of his mouth and throat became inflamed and sore, and his cystitis "flared up," so he ate even less and lost more weight. Just this past week we took him to the vet because he lost his appetite and he had dark urine outside the box-- a urinalysis determined he needed antibiotics and he also got medication for pain and inflammation.

The vet wants Hal to eat the Hill's prescription diet C/D Urinary Care Stress canned food. I also give him a glucosamine supplement and have a couple Feliway diffusers in the house, as the vet recommended. I had tried to get him to eat this Rx diet before, when he was first diagnosed with cystitis, but he didn't eat all the food and primarily liked the liquid/gravy. Right now the vet isn't worried about Hal's weight, but he is thin. He needs to maintain his weight, at the very least. He is actually eating the prescription food, presently. He needs to eat about 12 oz of the 2.9 oz cans a day, though, and I don't know if he will keep that up. I would like to feed him a food higher in calories so he won't have to eat quite as much. And preferably one without all the added carbs that also won't cause him urinary problems. I figure I will continue to feed him the vet's food so long as he will eat it and also offer other foods to him in small amounts. I am monitoring how much he is eating as we live in a multi-cat household and I need to ensure Hal eats what he's supposed to.

It's just been a frustrating cycle of trying to get him to eat enough wet food and then just getting him to eat adequate amounts of food in general, whether hydrated or dry food. I tried following this advice on transitioning cats from dry to wet food, but Hal will hold out for dry kibble and cry for it rather than eat wet food that is offered to him. And if he starts feeling unwell, due to the cystitis or a UTI or stress, he won't even want to eat treats or kibble.

Hal does like dehydrated foods and treats, like freeze-dried chicken breast or Primal or Stella & Chewy's meals, but he won't eat it if water is added. Sometimes I can get him to eat more canned food if I put the dehydrated food on top, though. He also likes shredded chicken, like Weruva or Tiki Cat, and I use it as a topper for other foods as it is high in protein. But he would still have to eat about 12 oz of the food if that was the only food I gave him and I don't know if he'd eat that much. I had some success feeding him Holistic Select turkey and chicken pates-- this has been mostly what my male cat who gets struvite crystals and has also had FIC eats and he has done well on it. I've also tried Halo Impulse, Hound & Gatos, Nature's Variety, Pride, and some Nutro cans  and Hal would eat those foods on and off. I just need to find something he will eat consistently that will be good for him. I don't normally feed my cats fish, and fish-based foods can exacerbate problems with UT issues, but I'd be willing to give him a food with fish if it would encourage him to eat more. And I rather give him some fish over a food with a lot of wheat gluten, rice, starch, or corn so long as it doesn't cause him any problems.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your hearts.  Hope you find something that works for you guys soon. :-)

We had a similar issue a couple of years ago when our FIV/FHV cat developed FLUTD, and the vet prescribed Hill's c/d DRY food.  Well, that didn't work out very well, as Buddy kept having flare-ups about every three months.  But once we started following the dietary recommendations per catinfo.org, Buddy hasn't had a single flare-up since. *knocks wood*

However, it was a pretty rough transition.  We tried adding some Purina Fortiflora that we got from the vet's office as a topper on his canned food to help make the transition a little easier, and Buddy was not impressed.  We also tried a small amount of Temptations like Dr. Pierson at catinfo.org suggested, as well as stuff like Parmesan cheese, Pure Bites, etc. -- all without success.  But once he got the hang of shredded textures like Weruva, Tiki Cat, Fussie Cat, Earthborn Holistic (and some supplemental foods like Applaws), he finally stopped holding out for kibble.  It's been awhile, but I think it took about 2-3 weeks for us to get to that point.

One thing that did seem to help was to engage Buddy in some pretty vigorous play about half an hour before mealtimes, then we'd let him wind down a bit before trying to feed him.  I don't know if that stimulates his appetite, helps him calm down, just makes him happy like a natural antidepressant or what, but it does make him much more enthusiastic about eating. ;-)

For what it's worth, Buddy has been eating four cans a day for about two years now.  That probably sounds like a lot to some people, but there's not an ounce of fat on him, and he's as healthy as he can be, considering all of his other problems.

As for the stress...

Our vet put Buddy on Zylkene 75mg. once a day, in conjunction with the Feliway diffusers, and that did seem to help.  Now that we know it works for our kitty, we buy it at half the cost at Amazon.  Oh, and Buddy loves, loves, LOVES tearing up paper, especially the packing paper that comes with our Chewy orders!  I guess it helps him vent some pent up frustration and anxiety.  He'll tear paper with his teeth like he's ripping the flesh off his prey, and when he's done, he looks totally blissed out. ;-)

*hugs to you and your kitty*

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im not too sure who posted this link but i can tell u its all about TEXTURE with my cat.. by me seeing what they look like inside the can i am having a better time searching for good foods for my boy he is super fussy.. he too will eat the Stella and Chewy (sometimes) but wont at all if water is involved.. wont touch any pate..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninga/sets/72157630596066364  i use this as a guide still searching but am having  some luck with the 

Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Love Me Tender Chicken & Duck in Gravy Recipe Grain-Free Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz, case of 8

Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Chick Magnet Chicken & Mackerel in Gravy Recipe Grain-Free Cat Food Pouches, 3-oz, case of 8

He is so picky i am spending hundreds looking for a food he will eat..

I worry about UTI and crystals as well ,,

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lily Paddy  

He is so picky i am spending hundreds looking for a food he will eat.
Oh, gosh.  Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.

It has been rather challenging to find something for our cat that's the right texture, low in carbs, doesn't contain any fish products (well, except for some kind of fish oil), and that will meet with Buddy's approval.  I just wish I had known about that link you provided at the time.  Just being able to get a sneak preview of what the food actually looks like would have saved us a fortune while we were working out Buddy's menu options.

One thing that helped was getting a bunch of free samples.  I'd just contact a company via phone or e-mail explaining our situation, and they'd send us free stuff to try, and sometimes some coupons as well.  Can't hurt to try. ;-)

We did get some free shredded textures from Fussie Cat and Applaws.  Of course, Applaws is only intended for occasional or supplemental feeding, as it doesn't contain taurine and all of those other things cats need.  But it did help during that difficult transition period to wean Buddy off his kibble he was used to getting as a bedtime snack. ;-)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you've tried Weruva's Paw Licking Chicken.  My fussy girl goes crazy for that!  

When all else fails she will also eat boiled chicken skins.  That's her kitty crack; she never turns it down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I will have to give Hal some extra TLC and play with him more on his own. It was a lot easier to get our other male cat Edward to eat a wet food only diet, but he is essentially Garfield when it comes to food. He'll chow down on about anything. He did drop weight after being taken off kibble, he needed to lose some, but it was slower. And we still have to watch him, because he will steal the other cats' food and overeat, otherwise. I just kind of assumed Hal would get the hang of eating the food that was put out for him, since it's been a few months now since we stopped feeding him dry food, but it just hasn't worked with him.

What brand of food does your cat eat everyday? I would just really like to get some kind of consistency with Hal, get him a food that agrees with him that he will happily eat on a regular basis and in adequate amounts. I'm okay with giving him the c/d Stress for now, so long as he's eating enough. But it will be quite expensive to keep him on it for a long time. And it is rather high in carbs, and low in protein, so then I would be concerned about him developing diabetes.

I haven't talked to a vet about getting anti-stress meds for Hal, but if he keeps having issues with cystitis I suppose I need to. Hal will also sometimes defecate outside the box and I asked the vet about him possibly having IBD. They recommended getting bigger litter boxes or changing litter and things along those lines, as he doesn't have other symptoms of IBD. The only time he had bad diarrhea was when I changed his food to a kibble made with tapioca over grains or legumes and he doesn't throw up. So I kind of assume this may also be due to stress or it's a territorial thing... Living with other cats is probably the big issue. He gets along well with his mother and sister, but two of our other cats sometimes get weird and territorial. When he first started having cystitis problems I was fostering kittens and a mother cat in the house. And changing his food must also cause him stress because he can't eat what he wants anymore...

Anyway, again, thanks for the info~

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have regularly bought Weruva's Paw Lickin' Chicken and the shredded chicken varieties of Fussie Cat, Tiki Cat, and Soulistic. Hal does like it, but he doesn't necessarily eat all that is given to him. Sometimes he will lick it and eat some of it and leave most of the shreds. It is a good food to encourage him to eat, though. I can put it on a pate or something and it gets him interested in eating more. Another food that really got him interested in eating was the Pride by Instinct. It's kind of high in carbs, but it is better than the c/d Stress. He'd still have to eat about 3-4 of the 3 oz cans a day, though, and he wouldn't always eat that much. I may just have to rely on a combo of foods to keep him interested, I don't know...

I was considering also cooking some chicken for him, see if he would eat it. It would be less expensive and frustrating if he would actually eat meat prepared for him at home.

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the link. I don't know if it's so much a matter of texture with Hal... But in general he seems to eat more of a soft pate style food than something that is shredded or minced, as he will often lap up the gravy or juices and not put all the food bits into his little mouth. I've been going to catfooddb.com to try and find him something higher in protein and calories and low in carbs that I think he will eat. The Nutro chunky turkey is one of the better options-- it's a very soft pate with some bits of turkey-- so I think I will continue to offer that to him. The Weruva pouches are a good option to get cats interested in eating. My cats always liked them when I got them as a treat. They are kind of starchy and Hal would have to eat 3 pouches a day, at least, so that wouldn't really work as an exclusive food for him, though.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for the reply. I will have to give Hal some extra TLC and play with him more on his own. It was a lot easier to get our other male cat Edward to eat a wet food only diet, but he is essentially Garfield when it comes to food. He'll chow down on about anything. He did drop weight after being taken off kibble, he needed to lose some, but it was slower. And we still have to watch him, because he will steal the other cats' food and overeat, otherwise. I just kind of assumed Hal would get the hang of eating the food that was put out for him, since it's been a few months now since we stopped feeding him dry food, but it just hasn't worked with him.

What brand of food does your cat eat everyday? I would just really like to get some kind of consistency with Hal, get him a food that agrees with him that he will happily eat on a regular basis and in adequate amounts. I'm okay with giving him the c/d Stress for now, so long as he's eating enough. But it will be quite expensive to keep him on it for a long time. And it is rather high in carbs, and low in protein, so then I would be concerned about him developing diabetes.

I haven't talked to a vet about getting anti-stress meds for Hal, but if he keeps having issues with cystitis I suppose I need to. Hal will also sometimes defecate outside the box and I asked the vet about him possibly having IBD. They recommended getting bigger litter boxes or changing litter and things along those lines, as he doesn't have other symptoms of IBD. The only time he had bad diarrhea was when I changed his food to a kibble made with tapioca over grains or legumes and he doesn't throw up. So I kind of assume this may also be due to stress or it's a territorial thing... Living with other cats is probably the big issue. He gets along well with his mother and sister, but two of our other cats sometimes get weird and territorial. When he first started having cystitis problems I was fostering kittens and a mother cat in the house. And changing his food must also cause him stress because he can't eat what he wants anymore...

Anyway, again, thanks for the info~
Well, I can't promise that the extra TLC will make Hal more amenable to eating canned food.  But I'm sure he'll appreciate the attention anyway. ;-)

Our cat with FLUTD just likes the shredded textures, e.g.,

Cats in the Kitchen (by Weruva)

Fowl Ball

Chicken Frick 'A Zee

Weruva

Paw Lickin' Chicken

Peking Ducken

Quick 'N Quirky

Tiki Cat

Puka Puka Luau

Koolina Luau

Gourmet Carnivore Chicken with Duck

Gourmet Carnivore Chicken with Turkey (which has now been discontinued *sobs*)

Fussie Cat

Chicken with Duck

Chicken with Egg

Other options (which are a little on the iffy side as far as Buddy is concerned, or are closer to 10% carbs and only offered as an occasional treat)

Earthborn Holistic Chicken Catcciatori

Soulistic Aromatic Chicken

Soulistic Autumn Bounty

For what it's worth, our older cat who was more set in his ways prefers these pate style foods, sometimes mixed with a little sodium free chicken broth:

Fancy Feast:  Tender Beef & Chicken Feast, Turkey & Giblets Feast, and Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (which he only gets about twice a month because liver is listed as the first ingredient)

Dave's:  Pretty much any non-fish flavor that's labeled 95% meat

There were a bunch of other options in my spreadsheet that met our requirements, but Oscar didn't much care for them.  But if you're interested, I can look them up for you in case your cat might like them. :-)

Just FYI, Zylkene is a natural remedy, kinda sorta along the lines of Bach's Rescue Remedy that seems to work for some cats.  You don't have to have a prescription to buy it, but you'd probably want to discuss it with your vet before trying it, just to be on the safe side.  Our vet thought it was worth a try before having to resort to kitty Prozac, and for Buddy, it made a world of difference.  He was a sick stray when we took him in, and had some difficulty adjusting to life as an indoor cat.  He'd go absolutely bonkers when he'd see birds or squirrels in the backyard -- which, of course, would contribute to his FLUTD.  So for us, it was a godsend.

Best of luck to you and you and Hal!

Peanut’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going through the same thing with Peanut. Thanks for all the information and links. Just wanted to add that I have put him on Dr Mercola’s Bladder Support. Of course, doing the shot-gun approach to this (change everything), I have no idea what is really working. Peanut certainly isn’t eating enough calories right now but I am watching his weight and will give him his Orijen for now (cutting back slowly).

Again, thanks everyone!!