Food Too Rich for Kitty

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning All, 

My older Persian, Castor is 17 years old and in pretty good health. A couple of years ago she a bad bout with pancreatitis which landed her in the hospital for a few days. Her whole life I was feeding her dry kibble (which I now know is not good for cats just for this reason) which more than likely caused the issue. Since then my vet said "absolutely no dry food",wet food only for her. For a year I listened to the vet and I watched Castor continue to lose weight and look fragile. I was feeding her Wellness Chicken and then switched to Blue Buffalo Chicken which she loved but something was still missing.  Then came Roadie, my spirited kitten we found on the side of the road on Thanksgiving Day 2014. I went through numerous types of can food for Roadie  chicken, turkey, chicken & turkey mixed, she turned her nose at all of them. Doing research cats are carnivores and want that prey food.  I finally found Nature's Variety brand food(which is awesome)  and grabbed the rabbit and venison, Roadie quickly loved the Rabbit. Okay, so wet food set now I need kibble (to do a 50/50 mix) to keep the teeth strong. Roadie loved the Rabbit kibble but still something was missing . Did some research and found IANDLOVEANDYOU brand food, all natural and made in Colorado. I bought the poultry and it's a win! I started to give Castor a 50/50 mix (against the vets advise) and within months she was gaining weight and she stopped looking fragile with no health issues. Great News!!! Castor quickly started interest in "lets see what the kitten is eating" routine and I had to monitor eating time for  them. Castor has started to turn her nose at her Chicken wet food and wants to eat the rabbit. I switch back & forth but Castor will clean her bowl with the rabbit and no so much with the chicken. I want to start feeding both of them the same food (easier on the wallet)  but I'm afraid the rabbit is too rich for Castor and will spike her pancreatitis issue again.  I know my story is long but can anyone provide feedback on Rabbit being too rich for her to eat? There are too many articles out there that have very conflicting information on what cats with pancreatitis should eat and so far Castor has proven the vet wrong. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I am afraid I know nothing about pancreatitis, perhaps someone can respond to that, but my cats need some variety, they won't eat the same thing every day, they get bored.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would think rabbit would be a pretty good option, though I would likely stay away from duck (it's high in fat.)

But, there are other factors that cause pancreatitis in cats. For my 2, it wasn't the richness of food, it was due to food intolerances/allergies and IBD. My vet said this is more often the case with cats, rather that the richness of the food.