Food Thief

sydneyet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two indoor cats, Gawain and Edgar. Gawain is 11 years old and Edgar is around 6 (we think). We feed them together, but Gawain gets special, canned food because his kidneys are failing. Edgar gets dry food, and occasionally canned.  Edgar gets very jealous when they’re eating and tries to take Gawain’s food. I push him away, hit him lightly, and yell at him, but he doesn’t stop.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might switch Edgar's diet to canned, and also separate them for feeding.

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Animals know from smell when another is getting medicine or food different from theirs.  Sometimes, as when they are given only scheduled meals, they see another/others eating nearby as in competition with them for food.

For a time I had two boys who were fed exactly the same meals, in separate identical dishes, at the same times, and one wanted to fight the other for food at their mealtimes.  First I tried placing their meals and them into separate large deep Sterilite storage tubs.  That turned out not to be a complete solution.  The rest of the solution was to drill ventilation holes in the lids and clamp the lids on until they were finished eating.  The cleanup was easy – just tipped the tubs over the kitchen sink and used the spraying hose in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydneyet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also give Gawain special drops that are supposed to smell like bacon (I think they just smell nasty) and I think they also attract Edgar.

Thank you so much for your help!

mewtantmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.  I hope you and the boys can work it out so you all can enjoy peace all the time.  

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I'm not sure what it is about cats, but they always seem to want to eat each other's food. My cats Blair and Dallas try to go and eat food out of each other's bowls instead of their own, even though its the same food. I could switch the places of the bowls and they will still go to the bowl that isn't their own!

I'm sure that Edgar really just wants the wet food, so maybe feed him regular wet food so he doesn't feel like he is missing anything