Food Temperature??

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When feeding raw or canned, is it ok to give it to them cold from the fridge?

I have been warming up their canned in the morning, 5 to 10 secs, in the micro wave. I thought this alright, but I'm planning to switch them to raw
and on the Feline Pride site the author was saying not to microwave the (raw) food as it could disrupt the delicate balance of nutrients etc.

What do you all do?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties won't eat cold canned food, so I heat it in the micro, too. But I don't know about raw food. Someone else with experience feeding raw will have to advise you on that!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mix a bit of WARM not hot water into either canned or raw will give it abit of warmth

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always worry about over-heating in the microwave so I do the same as Sharky. When I take the 1/2 can out of the refrigerator I add a couple tsps. of hot water to it but make sure I stir it up well so there are no hot spots. If the food isn't very cold, I use warm water.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've recently read a raw-feeder's comments (frozen raw) about how she will use Sharky's tip for part of the plate she leaves out...and the rest of the food on the plate is put out frozen. That way, as the day progresses, the balance thaws and the cats can have several small fresh meals while she's away. Neat trick!

I'm really leery of using the nuke to heat the cats' food - the "hot spot" syndrome scares me. I heat the unopened cans in hot water for 20 minutes or so - just enough to get the aromas flying!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take the refrigerator chill off of raw food by placing it in a baggie and either running warm water over it from the tap or put the bag into a glass of warm water for a few minutes.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats seem to like cold food. They won't touch anything I microwave, even if it was only for 10 seconds. The safest way to warm up food--for kitties or for people babies--is to set the can in a pan of warm water for a few minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your responses! I never would have thought of adding warm water to the canned to warm it up a bit
Thankfully, I was only warming it for 5 - 10 secs. in the micro, but still ....

I'm so thankful for everyone here

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties don't mind wet food being cold. But sometimes I sprinkle some warm water on it.

I put it in stainless steel bowls so that's why I don't microwave it.