Food Stealing

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a kitten (about 6 months old now), and I've had another cat, about 5 years old. The older one eats wet food, since most of his teeth were pulled. The kitten eats kibble. I notice that the kitten likes the other's food, and constantly tries to steal it, even after scolding and squirting water at him, but he continues and is very persistent. I kept the older's wet food on top of the washer since the kitten couldn't jump up there, but I wasn't sure if, in the long run, it would not be healthy (causing arthritis/issues with the hips, etc.), so I moved it on to the ground. Please advise on how best to keep the kitten from eating the other's food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your kitten is going after the wet food, I wouldn't be surprised if it is still hungry or the wet food tastes better. It's actually recommended to feed cats wet food for better health in general. Kittens should be feed several wet meals a day with kibble down for a between meal snack. You could switch to an all stages food that both cats could eat and then you wouldn't have to worry about food stealing.

If you want to keep the current food options, either feed the older cat in another room with the door closed or use a microchip feeder that only allows access to the older cat. There isn't a way to train a hungry kitten not to eat a specific food since they just want food at that age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are your thoughts on leaving the older cat's food on top of the washer? I will maybe switch to wet food since it is healthier, and they can both eat it. It's just that if my older cat eats any other type of dry food than Purina GI dry food, he throws it up (it's also expensive).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About leaving the older cat's food on the washer, that will only work temporally, because sooner or later, your kitten will be able to get up on the washer too.

At 6 months old, your kitten is still growing, and should really be allowed to eat as much as it wants. So a mix of canned and dry food, is often a good combination. Here's some TCS articles you might find helpful:

What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat? | TheCatSite
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade) | TheCatSite
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? | TheCatSite
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat | TheCatSite
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2 | TheCatSite

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cat food stealers, too. I generally stagger the feeding times by a minute or two to favor the little girl, who eats slower and is easily distracted. They finish about the same time, but I still have to sit with her at most meals to shoo away the other two.

I think I may have made a problem though, in that she sometimes won't eat unless I sit with her. I've heard from others here that made the same problem for themselves.

Nadera Dio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
make a schedule for your cat's meals and fill the bowl in little amounts for the old cat so that he finishes the whole thing when he eats and make sure that the little one is in another room during the old cat's feeding times.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quit squirting your cat. It will not stop[ him. But its will make him fear you. And maybe hate you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Quit squirting your cat. It will not stop[ him. But its will make him fear you. And maybe hate you.

Good point, and one I neglected to mention.