Food Spoiled Cat I Think.

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've been feeding my cat Applaws kitten food + Applaws wet food pouches 2-3 times a week. I also make sure she drinks plenty of water.

Recently, she has been rejecting her dry food and sort of "fasting" until I give in and feed her some wet.

For example yesterday she didn't touch her dry food all day long so I served her 1/3 pack of wet (she was happy to eat). This morning I would expect her to be hungry so I served her some dry food which she smelled and just left which basically means she barely ate in last 24 hrs.

Should I be concerned?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you probably know, Applaws wet is only to be fed to cats as an addition to their dry meal, it does not have taurine and other nutrients that cats need. Applaws wet is great as a healthy treat or when a cat is sick and refuses to eat.

The general rule of thumb is that wet food is generally better than dry because they generally have less carbohydrates and the water in it is good for the cat. Applaws dry generally considered to be a good kibble, it's grain free but it has a bit of starch (tapioca, pea and potato).

If you want to continue to have your cat eat dry you could try mixing a small amount of the wet Applaws or sprinkling it on top of the dry. You could try gradually reducing the amount of wet.

If your cat is overweight anorexia can be a concern, dehydration can also be a concern if her anorexia continues. There are a number of sites which explain how to check if your cat is dehydrated. They can be checked with a touch of the gums (dry or tacky means dehydrated) or by pinching the back of the cat in the middle of the shoulders (not springing back fast means dehydrated). But at this point I would just trying to get her to eat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As you probably know, Applaws wet is only to be fed to cats as an addition to their dry meal, it does not have taurine and other nutrients that cats need. Applaws wet is great as a healthy treat or when a cat is sick and refuses to eat.

The general rule of thumb is that wet food is generally better than dry because they generally have less carbohydrates and the water in it is good for the cat. Applaws dry generally considered to be a good kibble, it's grain free but it has a bit of starch (tapioca, pea and potato).

If you want to continue to have your cat eat dry you could try mixing a small amount of the wet Applaws or sprinkling it on top of the dry. You could try gradually reducing the amount of wet.

If your cat is overweight anorexia can be a concern, dehydration can also be a concern if her anorexia continues. There are a number of sites which explain how to check if your cat is dehydrated. They can be checked with a touch of the gums (dry or tacky means dehydrated) or by pinching the back of the cat in the middle of the shoulders (not springing back fast means dehydrated). But at this point I would just trying to get her to eat.
Hi there. I choose Applaws because where I live (Dubai) cat food options are limited - royal canine and whiskas everywhere.

In a "good" store the choice came down to Orijen (which I was feeding initially but she stopped eating that one as well), Applaws or taste of the wild (ingredients of which I didn't like)

Anyways she is not fat or anorexic as I'm taking very good care of her. I am sure she's just not eating in anticipation of wet food :) we'll see...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since the Applaws wet food is NOT 100% nutritionally complete though, it's critical that she get either some dry food, or that you add Taurine and the other missing supplements to the wet food, if you can figure out what they are. Some of the Applaws food now sold in the U.S. IS 100% nutritionally complete, but I don't think that's so in the rest of the world. You might check it out though. It should indicate on the cans/packets whether it a meal supplement or a MEAL.

You could always try mixing the dry and wet food together to make sure she is getting both, or give her some of the other wet food brands that aren't as good but are "complete" foods as a good portion of her food rotation.

kz59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem with a stray kitty who recently adopted me. She will only eat Applaws seafood (for a street cat, she has very expensive taste). I tried healthier brands like Tiki Cat, Weruva, Wellness, etc. She will pick at it, and leave most of it behind.

She gets a few tablespoons of Applaws 3 times a day - I add lots of water because she's not a heavy drinker, and actually likes it soupy. However, she eats about 1/4 cup of dry per day (Purina Complete - I know it's not the best, but no point in buying nice food that she won't eat). Would this be enough to give her the nutrition she needs? She is a relatively small cat, barely 9 lbs.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have the same problem with a stray kitty who recently adopted me. She will only eat Applaws seafood (for a street cat, she has very expensive taste). I tried healthier brands like Tiki Cat, Weruva, Wellness, etc. She will pick at it, and leave most of it behind.

She gets a few tablespoons of Applaws 3 times a day - I add lots of water because she's not a heavy drinker, and actually likes it soupy. However, she eats about 1/4 cup of dry per day (Purina Complete - I know it's not the best, but no point in buying nice food that she won't eat). Would this be enough to give her the nutrition she needs? She is a relatively small cat, barely 9 lbs.
Where you live, is the Applaws 100% nutritionally complete or not? That's the question only YOU can answer (or the store where you buy it probably can :wink:). From I can determine from looking at Applaws sold via the internet, everything I see says to serve it with their dry food line to make a complete and balanced diet.