Food Sensitivities

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am looking for some help & recommendations for cat food. I have a 6 year old cat, her name is Pansy. I have had her for 5 years now. Ever since I got her she has had issues with really runny stools and scabs on her skin. She has been on grain free dry food since we got her. Recently her scabs have been getting worse so we switched her food to a limited ingredient duck food which she loves but it has made her stools even more runny everytime she goes. She has been on so many different cat foods and the scabs still stay. She has been to a vet and has done a stool sample and everything is fine with her stools, the vet didn't know what the scabs were, she said she's never seen fur come off with the scabs and wants to do a biopsy, I am saving money for that right now but until then what can I do about her runny stools and scabs on her skin? Any food recommendations? I am stuck, any help is appreciated!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try some of these brands:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food

Novel proteins can be helpful. Sometimes duck isn't "novel" enough and all forms of poultry can cause a reaction.

Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food
Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!

Homemade and raw diets are also options. You don't need the vet's permission to feed a home cooked or raw diet.

Try one new diet at a time and stick with it for at least a couple of weeks if not longer. It may take that long to see improvement, if any, in the poop and scabs.

Have you tried probiotics and digestive enzymes? Those are often helpful for loose stools and general digestive health.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How does she get the scabs? Is she scratching? Is her nose runny? Any sneezing?

I worry about intestinal disease like Inflammatory Bowel Disease in cats with runny stools. Has she had an ultrasound or a trial of steroids? I would ask the vet about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does she get the scabs? Is she scratching? Is her nose runny? Any sneezing?

I worry about intestinal disease like Inflammatory Bowel Disease in cats with runny stools. Has she had an ultrasound or a trial of steroids? I would ask the vet about that.
I am not sure how she gets these scabs at all, she doesn't scratch often and she rarely sneezes, her nose is not runny either. I will ask my vet about those as well thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rshep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try some of these brands:

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Natural Balance LID
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food

Novel proteins can be helpful. Sometimes duck isn't "novel" enough and all forms of poultry can cause a reaction.

Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food
Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!

Homemade and raw diets are also options. You don't need the vet's permission to feed a home cooked or raw diet.

Try one new diet at a time and stick with it for at least a couple of weeks if not longer. It may take that long to see improvement, if any, in the poop and scabs.

Have you tried probiotics and digestive enzymes? Those are often helpful for loose stools and general digestive health.
Thank you for the suggestions, I will give those foods a look up for sure. I have not tried probiotics or digestive emzymes but I will look those up too thank you!