Food Rotation - Kcal Intake - And Many More Questions! Please Help

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Recently, I have been looking for new brand to add into Loki's rotation and somehow, I came up with tons of problems that I would love to have the answers

Loki has been eating Primal frozen raw (pork, turkey, beef & salmon. Going to try duck and rabbit soon), Nature Variety wet (lamb. He get sick of chicken and duck), and Dr Elsey's dry as treat. Per meal, I usually mix 1 nugget of frozen raw and half can of 3oz wet. I feed him like this twice a day and his kcal intake is around 180 to 190 kcal.

I am afraid of him getting tired of this "2 brands, raw and wet mixture" everyday, even though I rotate the protein sources every month or every 2 months. I have been looking for wet food that void agar-agar, any kinds of gum, no carb, and high in calories. It's so hard to find a new brand that meet all of my requirement. A lot of people recommend Wellness, Lotus, Wevura but those all contain some sort of ingredients that I don't like :(

After days of research, I found one! Tiki Cat After Dark !! But sadly the kcal per can is not that great, roughly 65kcal/can and it only comes with 2.8oz can. With that being sad, I have to feed him 2 2.8oz cans and 2 nuggets of frozen raw daily which suddenly bump up his kcal intake to more than 220 per day. He is not very active so I am afraid that he will become overweight. My first question is: Is it okay to feed him 180kcal/day in a month and then the next month will be 220kcal+? Will gaining/losing weight on a monthly basic okay for him? I know that losing weight fast in cat is extremely dangerous and that worries me.

Second question: Can i put an opened can in the fridge for 2 days? I am planning on getting 5.5oz can instead of 3oz because it's cheaper. However, the problem is based on my feeding guideline, he is going to finish the 5.5oz can in 2 days (a quarter can per meal, 2 times a day along with his frozen raw nugget) which I have to put it in the fridge with an air tight zip lop. Many saying that putting opened can in a fridge more than 24hours is bad and the kitten may don't want to eat it because it's not that fresh anymore. What is your opinion on this matter?

Last but not least, if you have any suggestion regarding of wet food that meets all of the requirement that I mentioned above, or an alternative to Primal frozen raw, please help me out :salam: I appreciate all of your input and sorry for the super long post. :redheartpump::hearthrob:

Here is a picture of Loki saying thank you for help him and me out :D

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put canned food in the fridge for up to 4 days. I would try to adjust the portions of the higher kcal food you are giving so it’s not too different. 180 to 220 may be a bit much and could lead to weight gain. I would try to stay under 200 if that’s what’s typical for him.

For other brands of food- you could try Rad Cat raw. It requires some portioning in advance because it comes in a bucket but in my opinion it’s the best quality commercial cat food. There is also Northwest Naturals that sells raw frozen nuggets like Primal. For canned food I like Feline Natural. The 6oz is about 150 kcal. Not that high, but in my experience a lot of the best quality commercial foods are low in kcal (probably cause they’re not loaded with unnecessary fillers).

Also Loki is gorgeous and I love Siamese mixes!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The Rawz canned food and Kasiks (also called First Mate) have none of the ingredients you avoid. They are both pates, so denser in calories. I also feed Tiki Cat after Dark and Olive loves it. I rotate every meal so the lower calories aren’t a big impact.

I feed three meals per day of about 70 kcals, usually about 1/3 of a 5oz can. Since I switch every meal, cans of food are in my fridge for about 3-4 days. Olive has never rejected these leftovers, I mix them with a little warm water and I hear no complaints.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw medallions.

Second question: Can i put an opened can in the fridge for 2 days? I am planning on getting 5.5oz can instead of 3oz because it's cheaper.
It's no different than you putting leftovers from dinner in the fridge and eating it again a few days later. If you're really worried, you can portion out the can into serving sizes and freeze it. You just need to remember to take a frozen portion out to defrost in the fridge at least a day ahead of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKat184

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for all the inputs, it eases me quite a bit :p I am planning to feed him 80 raw and 20 wet instead of 50 50. Hope he will like it :D

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Answers Detail a frozen raw. I feed Louie that along with Answers Raw Goats milk and Answers Fermented Fish Stock.