Food Recommendations

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am looking for a few different kinds of food recommendations:

1. I currently have my cats on Instinct wet & dry w/ raw bits and I am thinking about switching it up. Wondering if anyone is familiar with something comparable in price that is nutritionally complete? With 7 cats and the price of everything going up, I don't think I can increase the amount I spend on food too much! At the same time I want quality and will do whats necessary.
2. For those who have kitties with hyperthyroidism & renal issues, what do you feed them? Just wanting to look for options here (besides Science Diet).
3. I'd like some recommendations on what to look for in a good probiotic for cats. Any specific recommendations would be welcome as well.

I'm prepared to go down the research rabbit hole but I figured I'd start with you wonderful cat lovers! Thank you! :dizzycat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you so much for giving me some resources to check out and research further! Much appreciated!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm just about to purchase this pre- and probiotic after a fair bit of research, thanks to dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1

FERA PET ORGANICS Probiotics with Organic Prebiotics for Dogs & Cats, 72-g - Chewy.com

I'm not sure about price comparison, but I like Blue Wilderness True Solution Perfect Skin and Coat, and also Halo Sensitive Stomach.

For the renal situation, you might check the diet section of felinecrf . org.
:heartshape: Thanks for the vote of confidence :blush: I had done lots of research before deciding on this product. Gypsys gets 1/2 scoop a day, I mix it with half a Churu, we've been using it for over 2 years and are very pleased with her healthy poops. I'd just recommended it yesterday on here and happen to have a photo handy. 20220503_115616.jpg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I like for probiotics.
Pet Flora | Cat Probiotics - Vitality Science

You can get it cheaper with their Finnicky Cat Trial Pack--at least to try it with them first. I've tried this one with two cats. Despite its appearance (it looks like dirt), neither cat particularly minded it mixed in with their food.

For prebiotic, I use Optagest which is digestive enzymes that includes inulin, a prebiotic fiber.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LO2QEG/?tag=thecatsite

This Amazon title says "For Dogs" but it's for both dogs and cats. There is a cat on the label. I skipped the Optagest for a week with Betty thinking we'd go back to basics for a bit and she coughed up a massive hairball. We haven't totally solved her hairball problem. But they are much improved with Optagest.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotic info:

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks a bunch guys! I am looking into each of the products you posted. LTS3 LTS3 thanks so much for posting that article! dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 thanks for the recommendation! That's great that it has worked long term for your kitty. That's exactly what I'm looking for. daftcat75 daftcat75 how long have you been using that product? I definitely like the idea of a trial pack to be able to try first seeing as how I have so many furr babies!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks a bunch guys! I am looking into each of the products you posted. LTS3 LTS3 thanks so much for posting that article! dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 thanks for the recommendation! That's great that it has worked long term for your kitty. That's exactly what I'm looking for. daftcat75 daftcat75 how long have you been using that product? I definitely like the idea of a trial pack to be able to try first seeing as how I have so many furr babies!
Both the Pet Flora and the Optagest I have been using with two different cats for some time now. Works great! The Pet Flora may turn the stools darker because of the soil medium. But as long as the stools aren’t tarry, you don’t have to worry about it. While the Pet Flora results can be seen within a few days, the Optagest you may not notice unless they are currently having gas or post-meal discomfort. The Optagest should help reduce both of those. The impact Optagest makes is more apparent when you stop giving it.

The Finnicky Cat Trial Pack is not going to go very far with seven cats. It will be about enough to see if they will eat it. Maybe there will be a few days worth to see how it goes with them. You may want to send them an email and ask how many capsules are in a sample pack and whether you can use another of your five samples to get a second or third pack of Flora.

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 thank you. I would like to give to all of my cats but there are a couple of them that have more issues than others. So as long as those ones will take it I will be confident enough to then buy enough for everyone. I also have a kitty with hyperthyroidism so I need to research how he might be affected by it. I'm not sure if its something I should be concerned about but I would think it would still be beneficial to him.

I appreciate your insights!