Food recommendations

crackitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I was hoping people can tell me their experiences with certain foods, I'm trying to find the right diet for my sick cat. He's 8 years old and was recently diagnosed with lymphoma in his stomach or possibly IBS. He's taking steroids but I'm also taking a more holistic approach as well. Quite frankly I'm seeing way more improvement with the holistic stuff. He's taking Tripsy and ES-Clear from NHV and He's also on Vitality Science's Advanced Immune Restoration kit. I recently added their Super Enzymes to his food to aid digestion. He's looking better and better each day but we still have a ways to go. He was eating Royal Canin Recovery RS for about 2 weeks since he's practically a skeleton. But then I ran out and so did everyone else in the area and you wouldn't believe the hurdles I am jumping to get more. He was given Science Diet's equivalent of Recovery Rs. It's a far inferior product, not only did he not want to eat it half the time, it started to loosen his stools , which had returned to normal since started the Vitality Science. I spoke to Vitality Science, as they not only have great customer service but also have a recommended food list. The best option is for me to get him on a raw diet, and Nature's Variety frozen raw was their top recommendation. They also suggested their canned food as well. I bought some of the canned and a bag of the frozen yesterday.

I'm not ready to give him the raw just yet, taking care of him has put everything else in the back seat. He hasn't left my room since he got ill, and that mean's kitty eats in my room, a lot of times on my bed. Which trust me, I'm not thrilled about that, and I try to keep a drop clothe over it, but I want him to be comfortable so he will recover. So on top of the bed eating, my room needs to be better cleaned and better prepared for him to be eating raw food in. In the mean time it's canned food. I bought their Rabbit, Venison, And Lamb flavors and started with the rabbit as that was the preferred choice. He's supposed to stay away from bird, beef, and fish proteins if it can be helped. I'm not having good luck with Nature's Variety. It's a shame, he really seems to enjoy the rabbit flavor, he took to it immediately, and he's usually a picky eater, he got real excited and started purring. But the texture (I'm assuming because they don't use any fillers) is very grainy and difficult for him to lick up. I'm wondering if there is something that I can safely add to help get the texture more to a paste or some consistency like that. I tried to finger feed him and even syringe some into his mouth, but the texture really doesn't lend itself to either. Finally after several very lack luster attempts to get it in his mouth one way or another I gave up and added some baby food I had on hand just in case. It helped somewhat with the texture and even though he dove for it, after him enthusiastically attacking his plate there was still a lot left behind.

I'd really like this food to work out, despite him not getting very much in him, I already see a noticeable difference. He's acting the most like his old self that I have seen since this whole thing started. But it's way too messy trying to get food in him and he's not getting much down his throat, so there's a lot that's getting wasted.

So I think I'm going to have to try some other stuff unless I can figure out a safe way to change the consistency.

Anyway here's the link to their recommended food list

https://www.vitalityscience.com/wp-content/themes/vitalityscience/site_images/CatFoodTopRecomm.pdf

They recommended I stay away from, corn, soy, and wheat. Obviously try to stay away from anything with grains in it, and I should probably try to avoid carragenan and guar gum as well.

So if anyone has experience with food on that list, or meets that criteria that ISN'T grainy like the Nature's Variety that would be very helpful, so I have a better place to start. Or if anyone knows of a way I can help my cat eat his Nature's Variety please let me know. Thanks!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hello everyone,

I was hoping people can tell me their experiences with certain foods, I'm trying to find the right diet for my sick cat. He's 8 years old and was recently diagnosed with lymphoma in his stomach or possibly IBS. He's taking steroids but I'm also taking a more holistic approach as well. Quite frankly I'm seeing way more improvement with the holistic stuff. He's taking Tripsy and ES-Clear from NHV and He's also on Vitality Science's Advanced Immune Restoration kit. I recently added their Super Enzymes to his food to aid digestion. He's looking better and better each day but we still have a ways to go. He was eating Royal Canin Recovery RS for about 2 weeks since he's practically a skeleton. But then I ran out and so did everyone else in the area and you wouldn't believe the hurdles I am jumping to get more. He was given Science Diet's equivalent of Recovery Rs. It's a far inferior product, not only did he not want to eat it half the time, it started to loosen his stools , which had returned to normal since started the Vitality Science. I spoke to Vitality Science, as they not only have great customer service but also have a recommended food list. The best option is for me to get him on a raw diet, and Nature's Variety frozen raw was their top recommendation. They also suggested their canned food as well. I bought some of the canned and a bag of the frozen yesterday.

I'm not ready to give him the raw just yet, taking care of him has put everything else in the back seat. He hasn't left my room since he got ill, and that mean's kitty eats in my room, a lot of times on my bed. Which trust me, I'm not thrilled about that, and I try to keep a drop clothe over it, but I want him to be comfortable so he will recover. So on top of the bed eating, my room needs to be better cleaned and better prepared for him to be eating raw food in. In the mean time it's canned food. I bought their Rabbit, Venison, And Lamb flavors and started with the rabbit as that was the preferred choice. He's supposed to stay away from bird, beef, and fish proteins if it can be helped. I'm not having good luck with Nature's Variety. It's a shame, he really seems to enjoy the rabbit flavor, he took to it immediately, and he's usually a picky eater, he got real excited and started purring. But the texture (I'm assuming because they don't use any fillers) is very grainy and difficult for him to lick up. I'm wondering if there is something that I can safely add to help get the texture more to a paste or some consistency like that. I tried to finger feed him and even syringe some into his mouth, but the texture really doesn't lend itself to either. Finally after several very lack luster attempts to get it in his mouth one way or another I gave up and added some baby food I had on hand just in case. It helped somewhat with the texture and even though he dove for it, after him enthusiastically attacking his plate there was still a lot left behind.

I'd really like this food to work out, despite him not getting very much in him, I already see a noticeable difference. He's acting the most like his old self that I have seen since this whole thing started. But it's way too messy trying to get food in him and he's not getting much down his throat, so there's a lot that's getting wasted.

So I think I'm going to have to try some other stuff unless I can figure out a safe way to change the consistency.

Anyway here's the link to their recommended food list

https://www.vitalityscience.com/wp-content/themes/vitalityscience/site_images/CatFoodTopRecomm.pdf

They recommended I stay away from, corn, soy, and wheat. Obviously try to stay away from anything with grains in it, and I should probably try to avoid carragenan and guar gum as well.

So if anyone has experience with food on that list, or meets that criteria that ISN'T grainy like the Nature's Variety that would be very helpful, so I have a better place to start. Or if anyone knows of a way I can help my cat eat his Nature's Variety please let me know. Thanks!
I'd really encourage you to poke around on this site and then join the facebook group. The mods are former members here. While they are pro-raw for IBD, they aren't pushy and they are very informed group that have saved hundreds of sick IBD cats. You might also be interested in their pre-mix, which has also done wonders for IBD cats. You can use it for cooked or raw, so while raw is out for you, cooked might be a good option. I make cooked food with it for my IBD outside cat. If you haven't already, you're going to want to look into giving him a daily probiotic as well, but the easiest thing you can do right now in terms of a holistic approach is to get him on as much pure food without fillers as possible, and that means moving towards homecooked or raw. Raw is actually really easy and not as messy as you'd expect. 

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

http://www.foodfurlife.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RawFedIBD/

Another great raw option that's really easy and has been very successful for IBD cats is Rad Cat. 

http://www.radfood.com/

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, and some canned foods that might be good options would be Ziwipeak, Feline Natural (they have both a new canned formula as well as freeze dried), or maybe some freeze dried raw like Nature's Variety Raw Market or Primal. 

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you can certainly add a little water to the canned food, my one cat likes more gravy types & she's a licker so that's what I do. When I used to syringe feed my elderly cat, I would take a couple cans & put them in the blender & then add water & store it in the fridg, then I always had food available. Don't be afraid to add water, if your cat likes the rabbit, then make it into soup for him. Feed your cat what he will eat at this point.

You're gonna have to read labels, if he can't have any fowl, there is turkey in the lamb food. The rabbit & venison would be ok.

I don't feed my cats corn, soy, wheat or anything with carregeenan in it. There are a few choices out there but a lot of them are fowl. The food list has a lot of good stuff. If there is a local pet store near you, you should definitely get some Rad Cat. It is ground meat & it's totally easy for lickers. They do use egg yolks, can your cat have that? You don't have to jump into raw 100%, but you can get a small tub of their lamb or venison & see if your cat will like it. I think it must be tasty cause all mine eat it & I have a couple very picky cats!

The Ziwipeak air dried might be an option but if he can't chew, I'm not sure. The pieces aren't like kibble, it's not hard baked, they're soft like a tender vittle.