Food Question from a Newbie

hiro_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone -
I'm new here and just looking for a little input...
Today my three year old male cat, Hiro, had some x-rays that revieled a small stone in his bladder. The good news is its very small so the doctor thinks maybe we can dissolve it with some prescription food (vs. surgery). He gave me a couple of samples, but my fatty-cat will eat anything I give him. My question is which do you think is better between "Royal Cainn" and "Hills Feline" and why?
Thanks so much

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of the script foods, I don't think either one is better. It's whichever one your cat seems to like better, have good stools on, and works.

But here's a tip: Check both the site for RC's prescription foods and Hill's site. I know Hill's offers coupons for certain formulations. There may still be a C/D coupon up - however it has to be used on a big bag or a case (24 cans) of food, I'm not sure what else is up at the moment.

Since you mentioned that your kitty is fat, be careful with these foods. They have a bit more calories in them than some foods and if you don't watch the amount you put out your cat can gain weight on them. Preferably if you're willing to do it, offer script wet or at least half of the daily meal as canned food - that added moisture is good for kitties with early kidney and urinary issues.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hiro_Cat

Hi everyone -
I'm new here and just looking for a little input...
Today my three year old male cat, Hiro, had some x-rays that revieled a small stone in his bladder. The good news is its very small so the doctor thinks maybe we can dissolve it with some prescription food (vs. surgery). He gave me a couple of samples, but my fatty-cat will eat anything I give him. My question is which do you think is better between "Royal Cainn" and "Hills Feline" and why?
Thanks so much
Best of luck to Hiro! I don't really think one of the brands is better over the other but watch his weight on the script diets. I would buy whichever brand he seems to prefer. A can of each to start and then buy the one he likes the best. Hills is the more common brand and I see it more often than the Royal Canin. Maybe if you Google the Hills or Royal Canin food you want to feed you can find some good deals.