Food Options - Protein Free...

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my cat (may) have an autoimmune problem and the vet has started us on AN/allergenic biscuits from Royal Canin as they believe that she may have a strong intolerance for protein (apparently in this food it is a different type? I am not so good with the sciency aspects). Protein is in every type of wet cat food and the issue we have is getting pills in her, she needs 3 a day...does anyone have any suggestions for what could be used to make this easier? Any suggestions welcomed!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pilling tips from TCS members and others:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Compounding the pills into a liquid or chewable treat or other form may be an option. Ask the vet. A compounding pharmacy can do this.

Hydrolyzed protein is supposedly easy on sensitive tummies. It's still protein but the structure is altered in a way that won't cause a reaction by the body.

Chicken is a common culprit for tummy issues. Have you tried novel proteins in rabbit, venison, kangaroo, etc?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the quick response and the article links - I will definitely have a look! Good to understand the science behind the food as well as to why that protein is acceptable.

Unfortunately Molly (the cat) has had her issues for many years and the problem has actually caused severe colon issues (she has a very swollen and round hard stomach) and other organ problems (she lived outside on a campsite, then to the animal shelter for a year and then she came to us as fosters but we have decided to keep her as she has so many issues and needs some extra special care) so it was a case of try and reduce the problems as quickly as possible before any more damage was done so we haven't been able to do any testing of different protein sources. Plus, the vet isn't 100% sure if it is an autoimmune problem but it is the only potential issue that is treatable so we are trying anyway! All her scabs have cleared up so there do seem to be some positive changes since changing over, but the pilling is not easy :D

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if Molly's medicines can be compounded to flavored liquids or transdermal gels.
Veterinary Pharmacy

Protein is necessary. You can't have a healthy cat without protein in her diet.

That said, whatever proteins she's been eating the most during the time that her illness was emerging are the proteins you want to avoid now. You'll have to be diligent down to the treats she eats.

Rawz is an excellent food brand that has simple recipes and doesn't mix proteins. I recommend rabbit.
Where to Buy | RAWZ

And these are my Krista's favorite treats when she could no longer have fish flakes or anything with chicken:
Feline Natural Booster Lamb Green Tripe Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper, 2-oz bag - Chewy.com