Food Issues

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Manx - Macie - who I adopted along with a Tortie in December 2020. Macie is pretty small (and fast LOL), doesn't like to be picked up, but is just about the sweetest girl I've had. When I got her, she had been eating dry food only; I have kept her on the dry, but have been also providing wet for her, which she has been eating off-and-on.

Last time I took her to the vet she had lost 1/2lb. I'm pretty sure she has lost additional weight since then (still trying to get her on the scale). She mostly stopped eating the wet food a few weeks ago; I see her only very occasionally eat it. I thought she might be nauseated because she seems interested in food, smells it, and walks away. I've tried multiple brands and flavors, have switched dishes and locations where she's fed, etc. She does eat the dry (and will eat treats--loves treats), and I would be ok with her just eating that, except for the weight loss.

Macie also has a skin condition--she had staph dermatitis while living with her foster, and is constantly grooming and pulling out fur since I got her. She got a steroid injection at her last vet visit, which definitely helped for a while, but it is a pretty constant thing with her.

I'll be taking her back to the vet, but I was wondering in the meantime if anyone else has dealt with a cat just not interested in food with no obvious medical issues?

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A vet once told me dry food for cats was like potato chips —once they get a taste for it it’s hard to convince them to eat wet. All of my cats came from shelters used to dry…two after years of trying might eat a little wet. One (who adores food) will eat anything. One I’m still trying to convince after many years. He might eat a bite, then the next day not even that much.
If she’s already small and losing weight I personally would be giving her what she prefers until the weight stabilized, and of course the vet will test her to be sure weight loss isn’t from a medical issue.
they do make an ointment you can apply inside the ear (adsorbed through the skin) that stimulates appetite, but the most important thing is to figure out why she’s losing weight.