Food issues (trash and raw chicken)

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been caring for, or trying to care for, a little colony of five for a bit over a month and it's not going as I would like. They weren't completely uncared for before. They live behind a restaurant and the staff there have been feeding them chicken when they see them. However, it seems like at least part of their diet comes from trash (they jump into the dumpster and rip open the bags). This has been their diet for years and they've done okay. Still, I want them to stop eating trash and eat cat food so they can get all the nutrients they need. Chicken is good but it lacks things cats need, like taurine. For that reason I keep putting out food for them even though they have access to food.

There are a few problems, however. A couple of the cats seem to prefer trash to cat food. Last night when I came Sadie was in the dumpster. She got down when I came (trying to get away from me) but she came up and sniffed the cat food I put down but then went and jumped into the dumpster to eat something in a trash bag again.

I don't want them in the dumpster at all because they could get hurt or ingest something dangerous. I don't know how to sway the cats to eat my food, though.

Today when I came by I found a big pile of chicken pieces (legs and wings on the bone) at the edge of the parking lot. There was a lot of it, probably a good 20 big pieces. It's a lot for 3 adults and 2 kittens so I'm sure the area skunks and racoons will be well fed too. I'm wondering about the safety of eating all that raw chicken, though, which I'm sure will sit out for a few days since it's so much. It's cold now but it's going to get into the 50s this weekend. I'm wondering if it may spoil or if the bones could hurt the cats. I'm also afraid that so much raw meat would attract bigger predators like coyotes which live in a nearby forest preserve. What do you guys think?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this cat colony.
The way I figure it (and, this is only my opinion), at this time of year, outdoor cats need all the calories they can consume. So if they dumpster dive, that's okay--especially since I can only feed them three times a week.
COOKED bones are a big no-no; throw them away or take them with you. Otherwise, I think any food is fair game--cats have a much better smeller than humans and can usually tell if a food is tainted.