Food Help

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, new here and need some advice.
I live in Canada and I'm trying to select new food for my cat.

He's 7 months old, 8 pounds and neutered. He was bottle fed because the mom rejected her litter and he's had a few issues so I worry.

He's currently on lifetime chicken, turkey and oatmeal. I'm not overly pleased with it, his weight is great but his coat is greasy and he seems to be pooping a lot on this food. Before this he was on chicken soup for the kittens soul, after buying 3 other foods he wouldn't touch.

He gets 1/2 cup of kibble on most days. Sometimes extra at night if he's hungry.

He's also getting the bff canned food twice a day. About 1.5 oz per feeding. We alternate the flavors but he won't eat more then that at a feeding. Sometimes we throw a can of natural balance food or a pouch in for more variety

I was told not to put him on a fish based dry because the wet is almost all fish based. But the ash in his current food seems high (6%). I've only had older cats that I've fostered so choosing a food is new to me. What are the more reccomended brands in Canada?

Currently paying $15.99 for a 5 pound bag and would like to stay around that price point.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just bumping this up for you because I'm not sure what foods you have available in Canada. Did he not like the Chicken Soup or not do well on it, or why did you switch him off it? Does BFF not make anything without fish? Can you get Nutro Natural Balance (different from Natural Balance probably). Many of us here in states really like that brand (Nutro)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure what brands you have in Canada however my kitten can only eat royal canine gastro intensal vetinary feline food which I order off the net! She can't say anything with gracey or jelly and apart from this she can only eat boiled chicken, white fish (haddock she likes) cooked mince and well cooked egg. Anything else she is sick and Ill on!

shadowplay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you stopped feeding Chicken Soup? Some great brands that offer dry food for kittens are Wellness, Nutro, and Merrick. Acana and Orijen as well. I feed my kittens Blue Buffalo (I've used Wilderness as well as Freedom) with good success. I'm not sure what the prices are in Canada, so these might be a bit more pricey. If you hunt around in stores, you can sometimes find a store brand that's surprisingly good, I've heard Walmart and Costco in the states have some. The Rachel Ray Nutrish lines are nice, and some Purina products are good and at a good price: Purina One, ProPlan, and Beyond (the grain free line).

You could also look into rotating your kitten's wet food so she isn't always eating fish. Hope you find something she likes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He toom himself off chicken soup, I was actually fairly pleased with it lol. All of the bff food is tuna+another meat. And It's so far the only wet food he'll eat.

He wouldn't touch anything nutro, boreal, acana, we tried wellness and he got sick

I grabbed a bag of merrick purrfect bistro, chicken recipe and he isnt eating it. Was also given samples of open farm, natural balance chicken and salmon and natural balance green pea and chicken and all are a no go.

We're toying with the idea of a raw diet but I can only find groups that are all for or totally against. Does anyone here feed raw? I'd love some honest opinions.

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, and when we were trying to get him off formula we tried authority(dry and canned) royal canin (starter, the baby cat, kitten and the baby cat kibble), another grain free i forget the name of. It was little tiny heart shaped kibbles, and performatrim.

He'll eat iceberg lettuce and cabbage if he can get to it but god forbid he eat cat food. Lol

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good natured is the one with heart shaped kibble! He's off kitten food but I'm gonna look into a few of those :) thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are many people here who feed raw. Most Vets will be against it, unless you talk to a Holistic Vet. I, personally feed raw. We have an entire Raw Forum here https://thecatsite.com/forums/raw-home-cooked-cat-food.65/ere

Since he doesn't seem to like regular cat food, maybe he's one of the rare cats who understands what cats really should be eating, however, the fact that he likes iceburg lettuce and cabbage is making me think twice about that :lol: He apparently doesn't realize cats are obligate carnivores

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweet, I'll do some reading on that forum.

He's special, I think switching to raw would be easy. And obviously better for him. My sister works for a raw food company and her and my other sister feed raw, so it would be easy to get and cheaper then kibble.

He's only eaten about 1/2 cup dry in the last 3 days and 2x 10oz cans of bff.

My worry is that he likes to pick through the day and not eat at a set time. I put his wet food down in the morning when the other critters get breakfast, then wet at dinner time and dry at night because I'm not comfortable leaving wet out for the night. He usually finishes his food about an hour before more goes down.

I'm guessing a more strict feeding routine would change that a bit though.

He also goes crazy for salt and vinegar chips, to the point that I can't use vinegar for cleaning or he'll lay there and lick the floors for hours. I have guinea pigs and a rabbit though so it's what I've always used.

Oh, and he ate chunks from my sons jack o lantern. But he was eating pumpkin as a kitten for constipation issues so guess it was a familiar flavor.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey there! So, I have a few suggestions for you :)
For kibble :
NutriSource Cat & Kitten which is quite popular where I work. From what customers tell me, it's a good choice for fussy cats.
GO! or Now Fresh (same company "Petcurean"). It's a high quality food but can be pretty pricey.
OvenBaked Tradition is also a good one. It's baked, so it's easier to digest.
Orijen is also one that is popular for fussy cats, but it's expensive.
There's also a brand called Holistic Blend. They have one called Chicken and Salmon. It's also a great one for fussy cats and not expensive.

As for raw, I say give it a try! A lot of people say that you cannot mix both kibble and raw, however, pretty much all of my customers do. They'll feed raw in the morning and kibble at night (or vice versa). Raw can be a little expensive, hence why a lot of people will mix in other food sources (kibble or can). I even have customers who just add the raw food directly on the kibble (I however wouldn't really suggest that). I also have a few customers who give raw only a few days a week. So it's something that you can "play around" with, in a way and see what works best for you and your cat. It doesn't need to be all or nothing.
As for raw brands, so far I'm loving the Healthy Paws. It's a Canadian brand (made in Ontario if I remember correctly) and I've had some pretty good reviews! We also carry the brand Tollden Farms, but I've heard that some recipes (bison for example) is very high in organ meat and some cats cannot handle that.

Hope this helps a little! :D

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He wouldn't touch go, and I think ovenbaked is what I got at petland. He got sick from that one. Nutrisourxe I've heard of but can't find locally. Honestly I'm pretty much done with kibble. I'm a single mom, I'm in school working part time and this cat's killing me.

I've spent 1700 on him ($75 vet bill to pts his sister) in 7 months. I'm done. Raw will cost me $5.89 a week for a variety of proteins pre made. If he'll switch I'd rather go that route.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He wouldn't touch go, and I think ovenbaked is what I got at petland. He got sick from that one. Nutrisourxe I've heard of but can't find locally. Honestly I'm pretty much done with kibble. I'm a single mom, I'm in school working part time and this cat's killing me.

I've spent 1700 on him ($75 vet bill to pts his sister) in 7 months. I'm done. Raw will cost me $5.89 a week for a variety of proteins pre made. If he'll switch I'd rather go that route.
If he'll eat raw, go for it! :D It's a great option. Just keep in mind that most vets are against it. But so far, I haven't had any issues with it. Hope you find a raw food that will be good for you kitty! :)

Jessica2112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, mt last post seemed harsh. I'll obviously do what I need to for him, but right now I'm thinking kibble and wet isn't a good option.

We've got a 2lb tub of ground chicken food.

I've been instructed to do a fast (wet food only) for 24 hours and then start incorporating raw at whatever rate he'll eat it. He was licking the edge of the tub so I'm hopeful.

How much does he need? I'm going to have to weigh him again because I have a Terrible memory but I *think* he's 8/8.5 pounds. He's 8 months old. I know within reason whatever he'll eat but approximately how much in a 24 hour period?