Food For Auto Feeder

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anybody have any recommendations of what food I can use for an auto feeder? I have one of those Petsafe feeders with the different compartments. I haven't used it yet but have just started getting my cat used it it by putting treats in the compartments during the day. We are going away for a few days during memorial day weekend and our pet sitter can really only come once a day, so my plan was to have him feed when he comes and also refill his automatic feeder. He eats mainly wet food with a small dry snack at night. So I am hoping our sitter can come in the evening and feed him his small dry snack and a wet meal and then refill his feeder with 3 meals for the following day. BUT my concern is with the wet food going bad. I have thought of putting frozen ice packs around it and putting the wet food in frozen but I am not sure if he would eat it if the food was cold, and I suppose I could test it out first but I was wondering if there was other food that doesn't have to stay cold that is not plain dry kibble. I have heard of dehydrated food but I don't know much about it. I would really have to find something really soon to get him used to it, he has a sensitive stomach and there are only a few brands of wet food he can eat. Or maybe if anyone has any other ideas of what I can do for the wet food??
Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food can be used in a timed feeder. It might get dry but most cats are ok with that. Canned food is already cooked so it won't spoil if left out. You do want to throw out uneaten food after a day, though. You can freeze the food into portion sizes first and pop the frozen cubes into the feeder. Do you have the 5 compartment feeder? There is a small slot in the bottom that fits a mini lunch box sized hard plastic ice pack or gel pack. The 2 compartment one has plenty of room at the bottom of the feeder for a larger sized ice or gel pack.

Dehdyrated raw food is an option but some cats may not like it. Good brands to try that are complete diets are Stella and Chewy's, Primal Pet, and Nature's Variety. You'll find freeze dried raw foods at independent pet stores, usually the chain stores don't sell these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. It is the 5 compartment kind. Good idea about the frozen portion size, I will probably just stick with the wet food if it won't spoil. He won't care about the dry parts I am sure! & I will look for a small ice pack, that would work perfectly. Never noticed that small area under the tray!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The feeder technically doesn't use an ice pack but many people find that the little slot in the bottom fits an ice pack perfectly.

It's the rectangle depression under the rotating thing.