Food Change & Blood In Stool

nidaho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat Tesla is just over 3 years old now. I just recently bought him a new Purina food, as he didn't seem to like the last one I tried getting him to eat.
I didn't really realize that I needed to gradually change over his food, so I had just put a bunch of this new stuff into his bowl and he scarfed it down.
the next day when I came home from work for lunch, there was throw up on the floor. I started thinking it must be from the food change. I then was mixing about half of the new food with his older food, to see if that would be a better way to do it.
Yesterday my fiancé noticed blood in Tesla's stool. It is red, mainly at the last tip of the stool, and the stool was somewhat runny. After seeing this, I went right back to only putting out his older food, and none of the new food.
This morning I saw that he made a movement again sometime over night, and it was still a little runny, with a bit of blood, but it looked like a bit less blood than yesterday. Again I have only been putting out his older food as I wasn't sure if it might be an intolerance to the new stuff.
I'm wondering if I should wait it out a couple more days and hopefully the blood in the stool will have stopped, and the runniness as well, and then maybe I can try again from square one with the vet's recommendation of gradually introducing a new food over a 10 day period.
What do you guys think?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely go back to his old food, then try a much more gradual switch.
Is he acting alright otherwise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nidaho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely go back to his old food, then try a much more gradual switch.
Is he acting alright otherwise?
OK thanks for the advice. Yes he seems to be acting totally normal other than the stool.