Food-Centric Kitty! Canned or Dry?!?!?!

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello all ! :D 

I have me a Little Cutie Cat, named Pickles! (also a little handsome guy hes in the back! ) She loooooooooooooooves food! Which has somewhat become a problem because she eats alot of non-food items aswell. (thats a whole other ball game tho)

Anyways I am looking for suggestions to try to keep her happy and full. 

THINGS THAT  HAVE BEEN TRIED:

Raw (she was a kitten, and the first owner fed her a raw diet)

Wet food 

Kitten kibbles

Then she gained alot of weight but she was a kitten.. anyway very recommend a diet ?!?!?! for a kitten?

Anyways we used a low fat for A VERY short time.. cause it was all filler.. and pointless

Switched to dry Blue Buffalo Wilderness (40% protien, without grains, soy, or corn. ) she lost the weight and leaned out alot

I am mostly looking for a wet food, she is so high energy I seriously  think anything would be fine as long as it doesnt cause loose stools. Also how much do you feed when feeding wet food? I would like to try more feedings throughout the day instead of just the morning pigout she does now! (1/2 dry kibbles) 

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
High protein, grain free canned food keeps our "piggy kitty" full!

6oz cans, split into several meals should be enough. However, some canned food is low in calories, so another way is to look at the calorie content and feed amounts with those numbers. I've been told that 20-30 calories per pound of cat is ideal. For example, my cat is 7 pounds, so we feed her 140-200 calories per day. On average, we feed her 180-200 per day as she's very active, this amount keeps her full, for the most part. She loves her food, so she'd stuff her face if we allowed her. Good thing cats don't have thumbs lol!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I agree that canned is best.  Maybe these articles will help you out.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-much-food-should-i-feed-my-cat

It's really difficult to say "5.5 to 6 oz" per day, because, as mentioned above, cans can vary vastly in the amount of calories they contain.  I try to feed my little ones very low carb foods, yet one 3 oz can may have only 45 calories, and another might have 100 calories!  That's obviously a huge difference.  So when I'm feeding them I practically have to have a spreadsheet to monitor who's getting what at which meal to make sure they are all getting the amount of calories they need, because, naturally, none of mine eat the same thing at each meal 
(THAT would be too easy 
...one likes chicken, one likes turkey, one likes beef, etc.) 

BTW, there are lots more articles on nutrition.  Just click on the "articles" section at the top of the page, then click on "cat health" and chose the article you want.

Oh, the picture of Pickles is ADORABLE

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanna thank you all we switched to wet and she is sooo happier!!!! She is calm and peaceful all day and night! What a change !!! :D