Food And Feeding Question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info, and a special thanks for the easy to understand explanation. Unless I hear contradictory info, I suppose I'll be sticking with my current brands. I find it interesting that one brand would be good for wet food, but not dry. It seems weird they wouldn't have the same standards for both. I am aware of the fish thing, though, so I'm feeding no fish flavored dry food, and only feeding fish flavored wet on the weekends. Hopefully that's not too much.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with whichever is lowest in carbs and has most meat-based protein.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taste of the wild actually has 4 flavors now, the two prey foods have no fish. I quite like the turkey limited ingredients. The carbs are a bit less than Whole earth farms, and i like the fact that they tell you how much of the protein is from turkey and how much from the lentils. There is a very limited amount of ingredients, which i like. all the cats i have given it too seem to like it and do well with it. Whole earth does not tell you the % of protein that comes from peas, so you have to guess.

Im not sure about Dave's but i see a lot of ingredients that make me question it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JGombs99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again to those who have replied! So, it sounds like we have one vote for Whole Earth Farms, and one vote for Taste of the Wild. Are there any other thoughts on this? Is it safe to completely eliminate Dave's, or is it worth considering further? Is Dave's still a good choice for wet food, or does anyone think I need to re-think this based on this food scoring low for dry amongst the brands I've chosen?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont feed Dave's partly because most of their foods have Carageenan, and i try to avoid that. The other reason is i try to keep the calories from protein higher than the fat in most foods i feed, or at least closer to 50/50. Daves is low carb, but quite a bit more fat than protein. i will feed higher fat for some meals, but most meals i want the protein higher than fat.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf