Food Allergy/weight Loss Help Needed

Stella Boo Boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm in desperate need of advice/recommendations for my 9 year old female, Stella. Having spent a month trying to research this on my own, I pray someone can help with our situation.

Background: I have one female cat, Stella, who I adopted from a rescue five years ago. She's stricly indoor cat who had been overweight when I adopted her. Stella was on a diet of only dry food at the rescue and I wanted to give her wet food, but she got pronounced diarrhea from any brand I purchased and no matter how small an amount I mixed into the dry over 2 week periods. As such, I put her on Blue Buffalo Indoor Weight Control Chicken dry food (she's not an active cat, especially in warm weather and that kept her at a good weight) which she had eaten until 9/7/17. She always drinks water. No issues with lack of fluids and vet said no kidney issues.

Issue(s): Stella began incessant scratching/licking around May and seemed to be losing weight a bit at a time over the last several months. By early September, her weight loss seemed very pronounced and she developed bald patch on her stomach and raw ears from scratching. I took her to the vet on 9/7/17 and a battery of tests were given (blood, urine, hyperthyroid, parasite, etc.). The vet claimed Stella's weight of 9.25lbs was "perfect" (but no answer WHY she suddenly started losing weight) and prescribed gel medication for her ears. Vet also said she likely had food allergy which *may* have caused her to lose weight. Stella has only ever been free fed on Chicken dry food so I researched and found that I should switch to a novel protein. Both the vet and I believe she has developed an allergy to poultry.

I switched Stella from BB dry (thought it was good brand until I read through all these forums!) to Canidae Limited Ingredient Diet Trout dry formula for 7 days. No problems. Slowly, slowly tried to mix in 1/2 of 3oz can of wet Canidae Limited Ingredient Duck Pate twice a day the following week. After initial 8 days, Stella developed horrible diarrhea and wouldn't eat for 12 hours because of bowel upset which also causes her to vomit clear after struggling in the litter box. Called the vet and she said to continue feeding her the same amount/food because her body just needed time to adjust, but to add a bit of rice to the mix and pumpkin puree. Almost two full days later and no bowel movements at all. Called vet and she said Stella likely was constipated from rice. Told me to give her 1/4 tsp Miralax twice a day. I thought it was a lot for a small cat so I only gave her 1/8 tsp ONCE. That was horrific! Stella then had nonstop diarrhea! I figured out on my own that since she'd had no food in her system when I added the rice/pumpkin, she wasn't constipated. The food hadn't had time to get to her bowels and the poor cat never needed the Miralax.

When she was hungry again, I stopped free-feeding Canidae dry altogether and fed her mixed dry/wet portions three times per day: 1/3 of a 3oz can of wet Canidae LID Duck Pate plus 1 tsp. Soulistic Pureed Pumpkin (but no rice) with dry mix to try to ease/firm up her bowels. Everything was fine for two days, and then horrible diarrhea once again.

After another bout of only drinking water/not being hungry for 12 hours, I resorted to feeding Stella 1 TBSP Canidae LID Duck wet with 2 TBSP Canidae Dry every four to five hours. I also gave her 1 TSP Soulistic Pumpkin 3x per day. I hoped that very, very small portions would help her digest the food better. It didn't work at all. Again, horrible diarrhea. Despite drinking water, the diarrhea and intestinal upset is making her scratch/lick her stomach and ears even more and it looks like she's a bit thinner now.

I currently have her on only Canidae LID Duck dry food. Her bowel movements are normal once again, but I know that it's not helping her skin allergies because her coat is drier and she's scratching. I know the wet food is best for her because she stopped scratching/licking as much and she loved the texture itself. I am at my wit's end, researching nonstop and cannot find a solution on my own. While going back on dry food only made her stools go back to normal, it is not helping her skin issue and I'm pretty certain it won't help her gain weight. She also misses the wet food and won't eat as much dry as she did before. Could it be that because she drinks water AND there is so much water in canned food, that is causing her loose stools?? Over the years, I tried to give her 1/2 can Blue Buffalo wet as a treat only once per week and she always had intestinal upset. She doesn't vomit the wet food. She can hold it down without issue. The problem is when it gets to her bowels. Perhaps there is TOO much moisture in her diet with the canned because she drinks water on her own daily.

It literally is one extreme or the other: dry food only = skin problems/weight loss; wet in any quantity = diarrhea and weight loss/dehydration. I feel like I can't figure out a solution, but I cannot lose my baby! She's only 9 and very healthy apart from the food allergy, but her health is detriorating from the dry food and I don't know what to do. This is my first post and I apologize for the length, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thank you all so much in advance for any advice/suggestions.

RosesNoThorns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's entirely possible she's developed an allergy not only to chicken, but essentially to all birds---that happens sometimes.

Try another limited ingredient canned but look for a protein source that isn't bird.

hbanan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. My effie can't have any poultry. Talk to your vet and try a prescirption food. It really made the difference for mine. It can be expensive, but worth it if it works. Some cats with food allergies do just as well with Duck, but some just can't. Also if the prescription food is too expensive try looking into Nature's Instinct LID rabbit food.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley has multiple food allergies (Soy, all legumes, poultry, fish and rabbit). He also reacts to hydrolyzed chicken. I struggled finding things for him to eat as all/ most commercial food has at least one of these ingredients. I ended up trying pork. It works very well with him, but he was still not great on the commercial food, so I decided to make my own. He won't eat raw so I make him a cooked pork pate. He loves it and is doing well with it. It's actually not that hard to make (though time consuming I will admit) and not actually more expensive than the expensive stuff in the stores. I add quite a lot of water to it as it helps keep him hydrated, but you can control as much you put in it (though I doubt that water consumption could actually cause diarrhea. It's most likely to be an ingredient in the food that disagrees with her. You could also try to add pumpkin or Slippery Elm Bark powder to her food and see if that helps.
Cooking the food from scratch takes time, but he is doing much better than he was on any other food and loves it so much he eats all of his meds without any problems, which means no more pilling! That alone is worth it!!!
Good luck with your girl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stella Boo Boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The diarrhea has resolved today with normal stools since she's only been on the Canidae Dry Duck, but the scratching/excessive grooming/licking is bad again. She must be allergic to duck as well as the chicken/turkey because I deliberately bought LID single protein that she's never had before, and the scratching kicked in again. The wet definitely was much better for her because she had stopped scratching, but I was at a loss because the wet resulted in diarrhea each time. Maybe it's because, even though it was a single source LID protein, she's allergic to duck as well. I have been looking into Orijen Red (beef, boar, pork) and Nature's Variety Instinct LID Rabbit Dry just to get her off the dry duck. However, I saw that NV Instinct LID also has a Rabbit in cans. I'd really prefer her to be on the wet because it's already proven better for her skin condition and now that she's hooked on wet food, she's barely eating the dry at all. I should have mentioned before that we tried Hill's z/d on advice of vet first but she threw that up; it didn't even get into her system. Not sure why because it's prescription and meant for sensitive cats, but she couldn't handle it at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stella Boo Boo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Huxley has multiple food allergies (Soy, all legumes, poultry, fish and rabbit). He also reacts to hydrolyzed chicken. I struggled finding things for him to eat as all/ most commercial food has at least one of these ingredients. I ended up trying pork. It works very well with him, but he was still not great on the commercial food, so I decided to make my own. He won't eat raw so I make him a cooked pork pate. He loves it and is doing well with it. It's actually not that hard to make (though time consuming I will admit) and not actually more expensive than the expensive stuff in the stores. I add quite a lot of water to it as it helps keep him hydrated, but you can control as much you put in it (though I doubt that water consumption could actually cause diarrhea. It's most likely to be an ingredient in the food that disagrees with her. You could also try to add pumpkin or Slippery Elm Bark powder to her food and see if that helps.
Cooking the food from scratch takes time, but he is doing much better than he was on any other food and loves it so much he eats all of his meds without any problems, which means no more pilling! That alone is worth it!!!
Good luck with your girl!
I really wasn't convinced it was the extra water causing the diarrhea, but I've had so many cats and dogs over the years and never had one who couldn't tolerate wet food. No matter how little I give her even mixed with a lot of dry, she still gets diarrhea. So, maybe it's the duck/chicken/turkey proteins that she cannot tolerate and it's more concentrated in the wet food than the dry. Could you please tell me how you cook pork pate? Seriously will try anything at this point.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really wasn't convinced it was the extra water causing the diarrhea, but I've had so many cats and dogs over the years and never had one who couldn't tolerate wet food. No matter how little I give her even mixed with a lot of dry, she still gets diarrhea. So, maybe it's the duck/chicken/turkey proteins that she cannot tolerate and it's more concentrated in the wet food than the dry. Could you please tell me how you cook pork pate? Seriously will try anything at this point.
She could also be allergic/intolerant to other ingredients in the food such as peas , fish oil, flaxseed or even some fillers like gums (those are not in dry food).

Home made pork pate:

-1lb of pork loin (store bought)
-0.5oz freeze dried pork liver (he cannot have poultry liver and I couldn't find pork liver in a regular store. Someone on this site told me I could use freeze dried liver instead as they are just like fresh liver, simply with less moisture). If you can find fresh pork liver, then it's 1.5oz
-1/4 cup water
-1 pack of Alnutrin supplement

-cook the pork with water in a slow cooker, then cut it in cubes and wait for it to cool completely.
-in a food processor, pulse the freeze dried liver into a powder.
-add meat (with all the cooking liquid) and supplement to the food processor and mix all into a pate.
- if necessary, add more water to get the appropriate consistency.
-put in individual containers/zip lock bags to freeze.

Huxley eats 5oz a day so I do 2oz container for the morning feed and 3oz for afternoon and evening that I can divide it in 2 (he gets fed 3 sometimes 4 times a day depending on how much appetite he has or how nauseous he is).
I bought a bigger food processor so I can cook 2lbs at a time and that lasts roughly a week.