Food Allergy - How to proceed?

MomofCats23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old cat that started vomiting 2-3 times a week. Took him to the vet and he was treated for “something irritating his tummy” with antinausea medication and gentle prescription food for a week. It temporarily improved but then came back and persisted. The second vet visit a food allergy trial was suggested. I am nearing its completion and while eating only Hills z/d dry food, the vomiting has completely resolved.

I know one of my options is just to continue using it, but it’s expensive, smells bad and I can tell kitty doesn’t love it. I’m confused what people do to try to diagnose the allergen in these situations? I would love to know it’s just ”this” so I can buy anything as long as it doesn’t have “this” so that there are more options about what I can feed him moving forward, but the ingredient lists on some of these food is really long. Any advice from someone who has experience with this?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
tuna is a high allergin, chicken comes in second
I start with food with 1 protein like duck,rabbit,turkey,venison,lamb,beef
Can she eat canned? Then there will be less ingredients. There are some better brands for dry food
Also be aware of the ingredients. Some cats cannot eat gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MomofCats23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
tuna is a high allergin, chicken comes in second
I start with food with 1 protein like duck,rabbit,turkey,venison,lamb,beef
Can she eat canned? Then there will be less ingredients. There are some better brands for dry food
Also be aware of the ingredients. Some cats cannot eat gums.
Thanks Maggie. So could I *only* feed salmon wet and dry food for 2 weeks and if no vomiting consider that okay? Then move on to another protein? Right now we are on venison, a hydrolyzed formula.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could try that, but it isn't necessarily the protein (salmon, chicken, tuna, beef, etc.) that is the culprit. As maggie101 maggie101 mentioned, sometimes it's the thickeners (guar gum, carrageenan, xanthan gum, etc.) that can cause the problem. Also, wheat, soy, eggs to name a few. Typically folks will pick a LIMITED INGREDIENT food and start there. There are several brands that make them, both canned and dry, so you could match up the protein source. Then I would feed it for more than two weeks IF things don't go south before then. A food trial for just one food typically should last for 3 months. If all goes well and you want to try another food, then rinse and repeat with another limited ingredient food, but a different protein. Rabbit seems to be handled well by food sensitive cats. As is venison. Also, turkey and duck. I would not try beef as it has high allergen issues with cats.

As you can see, food trials are a long process, but well worth it in the end, for both your cat and your wallet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest buying cans at a store,not online. I bought rawz rabbit 24 pk online and my cat hated it!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all have our specific angles on this topic, given our cats' situations! As already mentioned, it's not just proteins that cause problems: thickeners and other unessential ingredients can, too.

In our experience, the best thing to do is feed the simplest possible foods, which contain just meat and essential vitamins and minerals. We know for sure that, for example, one or both of our cats can't eat agar-agar or potato. We're also pretty sure tapioca and xanthan gum, fish, and green-lipped mussels are problems. Guar gum seems to be okay. (Some of us consider it the "least worst" of the gums!) I've found that sometimes barfing stops very quickly (within a few days) after eliminating a food with a problem ingredient.

One other thing: it can be very helpful to keep a log of digestive incidents (regurgitations, acid vomits, or partially digested food vomits) and the last meal fed. Part of the trick is to identify patterns and then see what changes can break the pattern. That's worked well for us though the downside is that there are several ingredients in limbo because I tend to cut things out quickly if I have any inkling they cause problems. That's not nearly as scientific and thorough as the elimination diet method that A Alldara mentions.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going thru the same thing with my older girl, Willow. Vomiting has been increasing and it seems to be food related. After testing out a number of foods, the one she likes and that seems to make a big difference is Wilderness duck, which is mostly duck and turkey. It’s only chicken is chicken livers.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a system to the elimation diet that helps find the allergy faster. Elimination method should start with a hydrolyzed protein diet from the vet. Then, if symptoms are eliminated, you know its a protein allergy. If not, it can be an additive.
Then, you do a single protein diet and see if symptoms reoccur, etc. The vet walks you through it further.