Food Allergies

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 year old dsh cat was loosing hair. Did the in house blood work and numbers looked good. Did a tick panel and she came back positive for Lyme and Ehrlichiosis. She was treated for this flare up. Moved onto allergy testing. She has 21 allergies with 6 being food allergies. Her current food is Wellness Complete Grain Free dry and wet varieties. Need to make a change to a food free of eggs, lamb, rabbit, venison, salmon and tomato. She will also need weekly baths because she is essentially allergic to herself or the yeast her body produces. looking for recommendations for a new dry and wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so very much. I have checked the ingredients on a few of these foods and it looks like I may have a few choices. I do want to reach out to the manufactures, as well as our vet. Her allergies are not life threatening, thank goodness. So we can make her dietary changes slowly as not to make her tummy upset.

The baths will be a challenge at first. We have medicated shampoo to use that we need to try to let sit on her for 5 minutes. I especially like one of the helpful hints about having something she can hold onto with her claws, well a side from me.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness Complete Grain Free dry and wet varieties. Need to make a change to a food free of eggs, lamb, rabbit, venison, salmon and tomato.
Poor kitty!

Can I ask, which flavors of the Wellness she eats?

My Charlie will be going through food trials again for allergies very soon, and the wet Wellness is what he eats currently.

Last edited:

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came back to check in. Things are going better. She does not like a bath but we are working on it. After 2 baths the flakiness and scabs have disappeared and we are started to see slight hair regrowth.

She likes the Merrick Limited Ingredient Grain Free Chicken dry food, although I do have some concerns about the pea protein. She doesn't care for the wet as it is a pate, so I am looking for a wet food that can have and will eat. We did and are still doing the slow approach on the new food. At first it was like 25% new, then 50% new and now we are working on 75% new. Next bag will be 100% new.

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitty!

Can I ask, which flavors of the Wellness she eats?

My Charlie will be going through food trials again for allergies very soon, and the wet Wellness is what he eats currently.

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wellness chicken or turkey gravies and minced varieties. Unfortunately for us they have egg and tomato in them.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news on the kitty!! YAY!

And thank you I asked as Charlie is / was / is also feeding wellness - as are a few others I know of that have some issues.

Charlie Wellness Salmon and turkey and Turkey pate. I cut out the Chicken one a few years back. However both of those have chicken in them.

Wellness switch in June of last year from Carrageenan to guar gum. While the Guar gum is a better choice the sudden switch many didn't know about caused some tummy upset.

He's been doing well on, of all thing, Simply Nourish Duck grain free Duck and peas but you said you have a concern about the pea? They also have one that has Potatoes instead of pea.

For pates - are they to dry for her? Some pates I see are very dry. I add warm water and that seems to help. Also slightly warning the food seems to help too.

Maybe try that?