Food Allergies / Suspected Ibd

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Psycho is 10 and over the last few years he s had bouts of inappetence , vomiting bile in the am and hairballs. When his appetite wained I gave him Mirtz once and he would be good for several months. The bile pukes escalated from once monthly to 3-4 times a month. He had his 6 month Wellness check mid April his weight was stable but the bile pukes continued as well as pooping and then spitting up bile. His blood work was all good and our Vet said everything felt good on the palpitations. Vet thought food allergies because he was scratching especially around the neck and ears or the beginnings of IBD.
He eats canned twice a day and Orijen maybe 1/4 c a day. Vet suggested putting him on Pred for 6 weeks then taper to knock out the inflammation. I changed his kibble to Young Again LID since the new Orijen formula is loaded with fish. He has had no bile or poop pukes since he started Pred on April 19. His appetite is great and I know that has to do with the Pred but hopefully it will continue when the inflammation is under
control.
I wondered if anyone else had the experience where diet change and a course of Pred can help keep full blown IBD at bay.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it can make a big difference. I think changing his food was a very good move. and hopefully once the Pred is finished he will continue to do well, with no issues. If it is just a food allergy then i think there is a very good chance that he will be fine, as you have changed to a totally different food! I always wanted to try young again, but i feed Dr. Elseys and its working well for us, so you know, i have to rock the boat :) Keep us updated on how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it can make a big difference. I think changing his food was a very good move. and hopefully once the Pred is finished he will continue to do well, with no issues. If it is just a food allergy then i think there is a very good chance that he will be fine, as you have changed to a totally different food! I always wanted to try young again, but i feed Dr. Elseys and its working well for us, so you know, i have to rock the boat :) Keep us updated on how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He loved Dr Elsey chicken kibble but I want to limit the protein choices. Young Again LID was so different and easy on his digestion so I gave it a try. I ve also been giving him PetUltimates probiotics, Dr Goodpet Digestive Enzymes and 2 caps a day of Swanson Egg Yoke Lecithin for the hair ball issues.
Thank you for your reply. I ll post updates as we go .