Food agressive?

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 5 month old kitten growls at us aggressively when we pet her while she is eating. She does this to other cats as they walk by. Is there a way to stop this or why shes doing this?

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe just don't pet her while she's eating? 

She'll most likely grow out of the habit once she realizes she doesn't have to worry about her food being taken away.

Also, are you sure she's actually growling and not just making nomnom noises? I have a noisy eater in my house who sometimes sounds growly-ish, but it's actually just him verbalizing how much he loves his food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is growling, she only does it when I pet her. I normally dont bother with food but sometimes I have to stick my hands in there if one is eating out of a bowl they arent suppose to be eating out of :). She pins her ears back when doing it as well and sometimes will retract her head from the bowl. Shes never been hit here but maybe in her previous home there were 6 other cats to compete with

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should.t pet her while she eats you wouldn't like to he petted while you eat your meals that there will be the problem she's most likely suffered something during a meal

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would put their food bowls a little farther apart and just avoid petting/touching her when she is eating.  Even if it means feeding her in a different room so she feels less threatened.  It may very well be a behavior she learned early on; but I wouldn't lose heart, she's young.  For a while I fed my 2 on the cat tree's widest platform because they didn't have to worry about my DD coming up while they were eating.