Food Agression

miraclecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have two kitties that I guess you would call a bonded pair? They sleep together and cuddle together and lick each other. They were two intact male strays. The first one knew us much longer because we worked with him for months to get him used to us. The younger one showed up and they became instant best buddies. We finally got the older one inside because the older one followed the younger one into the house. I noticed the first week, before they were at vet and neutered, that the older one 12.9 lbs, about a year and a half, would climb on the younger one 8.7 lbs, a kitten under a year according to vet, on his back and bite his neck lightly but didn't hurt him. In that first week we tried feeding them on two different plates but they would race back and forth to the different plates each following whoever left to go to the other plate and would just eat several bites from same plate together. It's the second day since they've had shots, been neutered, etc...I've noticed the first night that the younger one started hitting the older one on the head to try to drive him away when he tries to come up from basement. There is a bag of food sitting right there by the door,. Also, today, whenever the bigger one was eating, the smaller one would push him out of the way and take his dish and the bigger one would give way. This happened several times even when dishes across kitchen from each other. When they are in other rooms and barred from kitchen they still lay together, etc.. I am wondering if this is some kind of food aggression? And do you think we have to worry about the younger one's attempts at dominance growing? There is no fighting. But the younger one kept trying to drive the older one out of kitchen. Any opinions or suggestions or should I quit being a helicopter mom :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miraclecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now he just smacked him when he came out of the bathroom where the litter box is! I'm not sure how to add this or edit the previous post to include it?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult cats have a tremendous tolerance for kittens, so it may be that your older cat is giving in to the younger for this reason. Or they even could be siblings since they both were hanging out together. In any case if the younger cat really does annoy the older I am sure he will let him know. Their behavior regarding food may be related to their tough life outdoors. As far as feeding things may be calmer and everyone will get their proper amounts if you can feed one in a totally different place than the other. Either shut one in a room or the basement with his meal and then feed the other elsewhere.