Follows Me Around But Doesnt Want To Be Touched

Thammysoso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat always comes up to me follows me anywhere. If i go to the kitchen she'll sit on the mat next to me. If im on the couch she will lounge with me. If i go outside she will walk with me to the mailbox and back. If i go upstairs she will go up too. But the thing is she always follows and stares at me, she will stretch up my legs like a child who wants to be picked up but the moment i go to touch her she turns away and stares, i always try to follow her to see if she wants to lead me anywhere but she doesnt move. Oddly enough she cannot sleep unless she is cuddled right next to me and loves being touched when she is sleepy. I dont force affection or touch in her because she doesnt like it but how do i bond with her if i cant touch her? Is there a way she wants to be loved other thsn playing with toys?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you had her? It's nice that she wants to be petted and cuddle when she's sleepy. That's a good start.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats can be picky about how they are cuddled. All cats are individuals, so the kind of attention that your kitty likes might be totally different to your friends’ cats. My Charlie, for example, loves being pet on his head and back, but won’t stand for belly rubs. But there are lots of cats who think belly rubs are the best thing in the world!

This article: Your Cat Probably Hates It When You... gives some more information about some common feline dislikes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thammysoso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thank you for the response, ive had her for seven months. I found her in horrible conditions at 3 weeks old in my neighbors backyard. She is about 11 in cat years and doesnt like to be touched by anyone other than me but only when its bed time.

Thammysoso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you had her? It's nice that she wants to be petted and cuddle when she's sleepy. That's a good start.
Kitten
My cat always comes up to me follows me anywhere. If i go to the kitchen she'll sit on the mat next to me. If im on the couch she will lounge with me. If i go outside she will walk with me to the mailbox and back. If i go upstairs she will go up too. But the thing is she always follows and stares at me, she will stretch up my legs like a child who wants to be picked up but the moment i go to touch her she turns away and stares, i always try to follow her to see if she wants to lead me anywhere but she doesnt move. Oddly enough she cannot sleep unless she is cuddled right next to me and loves being touched when she is sleepy. I dont force affection or touch in her because she doesnt like it but how do i bond with her if i cant touch her? Is there a way she wants to be loved other thsn playing with toys?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, so she's still a kitten? I was confused by the 11 years old in cat years thing.

Thammysoso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes (: although im sure she wont be growing anymore she stopped growing since november.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who is more hypersensitive to touch. She also needs to follow me around the house, and sits at my feet wherever I am if she's not in her cat tree. She meows at me for pets frequently and wants a good head rub everytime she passes by me. She is 1.5 years old and she has only recently began to tolerate being touched, and crawling into my lap. I can still only pet her a few times before she would walk away or go and knead for a bit. Her brother is the opposite and a bit cuddlebug. So it may just be part of who she is, but she may also grow to like touch more as mine has.

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is completely normal! I read somewhere that a cat's way of showing affection is different than what we may be used to. A cat's way of showing he loves you or enjoys your company is being in the same room as you. She's saying, "we're hanging out! I like being around you." She obviously really likes you, she just likes being touched on her terms, which is very normal! It may be her personality to prefer more space or she may be wary of physical contact due to her past. Or maybe, she's never been loved on that way and you may have to show her that your pets and snuggles are a form of affection.

If you want to induce a more physical bond I'd suggest strengthening your bond with her and actively establishing that you are a person she can trust and that you want to be her pal.
  • I found that daily play time with my rescue kitten made us closer. Find things she really enjoys and carve some time out of your day to do those things with her. My cat has plenty of toys, but after I play with him, he is way more snuggly.
  • I also talk to him- so weird I know, but he started it! LOL he is super vocal. He trilled a LOT when exploring and getting acquainted with his new home. I used to talk back, just so he didn't feel alone lol. I would say, "what are you doin?" "what'd you find?" "what are you lookin at?" "what's he doin over there??" just over and over. When we snuggle, or when he's cuddly, I'll sweet talk him, "you're so handsome. look at that handsome kitty" and just say random stuff about how awesome he is. He eats it up! Also, when he's nervous, I'll repeat "you're okay, baby. it's okay!" and he relaxes and tries to calm down.

Either way, your cat's behavior seems normal to me!