Following to litter box

EAnne927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats . They got into a fight a few months back. We did reintroduction and they were fine for a couple of weeks but got into again . We now been slowly getting back to a good space. They eat together and groom before eating. They will touch noses through the baby gate. They are not alone together without being supervised at this point . I am concerned because whenever my Tuxedo goes to use the litter box the Tortie follows . This morning Ghost was in the litter box and peppers went and was watching her. I’m not sure her intention was but I shooed her away before anything could happen . Has anyone had something like this happen? Not sure how to handle it . Should I have waited to see what Peppers would do or was I right to intervene ? I’m at my wits end and just want things back to normal with these two

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe until such time that you ready, you have a litter box on each side of the baby gate so that there is one available without requiring them to have to be together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EAnne927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response . We do have two litter boxes in separate areas . I was giving them some supervised time with out the gate this morning and watched Peppers follow Ghost when she heard her scratching the litter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, isn't that just like a cat - they have all the time to use the litter box when they are on their own side of the gate - but, noooo, they have to wait to go when you have removed the gate for supervised time together???? :evilgrin:

I would distract Peppers if you are not ready to just watch to see what happens. Maybe they will be OK, or maybe they won't. It could set things back a bit in terms of progress if they go at it. That is kind of an instinctive thing on your part as to whether you think they've progressed far enough to allow a 'litter box encounter' to occur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EAnne927

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Not quite sure I am ready for another setback . I am considering adding one more smaller box somewhere else in the house

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, adding another box is a great idea. Sometimes cats can pounce on other cats after they finish their time in the litter box, and this can cause stress all around. Optimizing your litter box set up can help reduce stress, and so can adding more litter boxes. The more options, the better IMO!