Follow-up to older thread re hyperthyroidism

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much... I don't have trouble with regular cat food, but the prescription stuff is a lot... but would still need a script I think. Never heard of Farley, but will check too. Thanks again, time for bed here!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're right - I did say I was worried about HypoT, but right now I have a call into the Vet Assoc. here as there's a situation with diff. vets that I haven't mentioned and want to get a handle on before anything else... complicated, local and not necessarily very 'nice'. May fill you in later on depending on what I learn. Thx again for all.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd do a final catch-up here as things are now 'interesting'. I decided to just feed Ecco a lot, often, while keeping track of weight, etc. And he's on the thyroid 'Gold' once a day - twice and he sneezes his head off, but once gives him some protection to organs, etc. that he wouldn't have otherwise and it's working - only sneezes a couple of times a day. I'm not 'just' feeding on demand as I realized he took the 'no boundaries' thing too seriously and was training me, so he does get fed often (reg. but fishless catfood), but in somewhat smaller amts than I'd first given him e.g. 6 wks ago, and he's learning that he'll eat no matter what, but not every hour and not a huge amount... and that also seems to be working well. I think he probably does have an early (2+ yrs?) case of Hyper T, but that's all for now, and not much else but just 'age' (15.5 yrs), which has given him more white hairs among his black, but not turned him into a lazy lump... so things seem balanced now and we're both relaxing a little, crossing fingers they stay this way for at least the immediate future.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
so things seem balanced now and we're both relaxing a little, crossing fingers they stay this way for at least the immediate future.
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you too. :crossfingers: I hope he continues to stay status quo at 15.5 years.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, absolutely, and I know more (thx to you all) now than I did before, so eyes are open. One thing I realized is that the 'huge' pads of litter I worried about tho' didn't see a lot of extra drinking (just a little) coincides with having started Tidy Cats litter around the same time and learned it doesn't clump the same as the older 'hard' stuff, so have traded new box (Amazon) for 'Boxie' to try it out, but reviews say it's very dusty... again something to try, but there's probably other non-dusty (whatever B. brags about) stuff to try as well. Beginning to wonder if human kids aren't a lot easier (got mine only when she was already 12). Isn't life interesting :roll: !