Flying With My Cat

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I plan on flying from the west coast to the east and am going to either go with United or Frontier. I noticed on Frontier's website, they have an 8" max height of the traveling container (REF: Family & Pets). Yet, when I look up containers on Amazon, For example, this product: shows it is carrier approved, yet is 11" high, but Frontier only allow a max of 8". I see that most carriers are 11" high. Am I missing something here? Would I be able to get away with a carrier that is a few inches higher?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to Furballsmom Furballsmom 's suggestion, if the carrier you bought isn't hard sided, it likely can be 'smushed' to fit underneath the seat. You might want to ask the airlines about that as well, that it is a soft-sided carrier and can be form fitted to the area underneath the seat.

I haven't traveled with my cat for years, but I am pretty sure the carrier I used was more like 10-11" high, and yet it fit underneath the seat without any problem.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fly a lot with my cats. Most soft-sided carriers will squish down to fit under the seat in front of you, with a few exceptions (for example the Amazon Basics carriers don't squish down very well). The medium sized Sherpa carrier you linked to should work fine; it is designed for one end to squish down so that you can fit it under any normal airplane seat.

When you choose your seats, middle seats and window seats normally have enough space under the seat in front of them for a cat carrier. Aisle seats sometimes have a smaller space, so I wouldn't recommend an aisle seat. Also make sure that your seat has a seat in front of it (don't choose the front row of the cabin, or a seat behind an empty space in the exit row).