Flying with my cat

lieutenantworf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am flying to Florida with my 3 year old cat Fuji from Tokyo to Fort Walton, Florida. She was adopted here in Tokyo and has never flown before. She is an indoor cat and healthy, how taxing is this travel experience going to be on my cat? Is it even safe to travel that far with a cat on an airline underbelly? I'm thinking we'll be taking her inside the passenger compartment, how long will drugs typically keep her out? Anyone out there have some experience traveling with a cat? Care to share your experience?

imaginewizard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any personal experience but I would take your cat in a carrier in the passenger compartment. Discuss drugs (and as to if they are recommended) with your vet. 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flying in from other countries with cats in the passenger compartment has not been allowed since 2009 I believe, and the airline has to be approved for carrying pets by the TSA.

I won't lie, it's a big deal. I'm sure the cargo area of planes from Tokyo are pressurised and have climate control but I doubt it will be to the extent that the passenger part is. It's very cold in Japan at the moment so try to fly in the afternoon (warmest part of the day) and take a direct flight.

Cargo is extremely noisy and the cargo can move about. I'd be notifying the captain or cabin crew before we took off that there is an animal in the hold. 

See if you can find a bowl which can be hooked on to the cage and place some ice in it and blankets for the bottom of the cage.

A harness would be ideal too, you need to take your cat out of the carrier so that the carrier can go through the xray machine. 

You will need to get a vet's certificate in English before you travel. 

Last edited:

kiki39

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good advice from the above posters already, but I wanted to add one thing. I flew the opposite direction, from the US to Tokyo about a year ago with my cat. She stayed in cabin with me

There were only two commercial airlines that fly from the US to Japan and allow pets in cabin at that time, Delta and United. Our total travel time (car ride on both ends and two flights) was about 24 hours. If you can choose, I'd recommend taking your kitty in cabin with you.

I didn't use the sadatives although our vet gave some "just in case". I used Feliway spray and Rescue Remedy (for pets). I am not sure if they really worked or not, but my cat handled the move ok. She just stayed quiet in the carrier all through the travel.

By the way, Fuji is really cute!