Flying with my cat

feleenipovski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everybody! 

I am in a bit of a dilemma...and wanted to hear your opinion. In about two weeks time I am supposed to fly from Europe, where I live, to Canada, and stay there for a month. I am really thinking about bringing my persian cat of two years along with me. We have all the paperworks sorted, and he would be able to ride in cabin with me. I am just wondering whether it would be too crazy for him considering we'd be going back in a month. He's usually awesome when it comes to car rides/bus rides and travel in general (we've been doing yearly trips of about 6 hours in a bus...there and back...and he was always really cool about it). I am just wondering whether air travel would be any different. I'd really like to take him with me because I don't really have anyone I trust to leave him for a whole month...I think my baby would do better with me...

Any advice is helpful! Thank you!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I know people who go everywhere with their cats and they say as long as they are close to their humans, there should be no problem. But also ask your veterinarian to recommend natural calming remedies just in case. 

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long is the flight?  What about the total travel time?  It will probably be a stressful experience for your kitty, but if there isn't anyone to take care of him for an entire month, it might be the best option.  Make sure you have all the supplies ready to go once you arrive (litter, food, etc.), since he will have gone several hours without eating, drinking, or using the bathroom.

My husband and I have flown Coco across the United States on several occasions.  Make sure that your carrier conforms to the airline requirements, and that you call ahead of time to reserve a spot on the plane for your kitty.  Also, be ready to take him out of the carrier to be screened at security.  You might also want to bring a small towel, pillowcase, or blanket to cover the carrier and give your kitty some privacy during the trip.

xsequence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I JUST did this type of flight :-) I moved from the Netherlands back to Canada last Saturday with my little Ariel. It was 9.5 hours. I didn't have her in the cabin with me, which I think was to my advantage because all of the people and smells could be a lot to take in.

Ariel isn't very good in cars but when I picked her up from baggage claim she seemed very calm. I hadn't given her any medication either.

I chose to store her rather than keep her in the cabin because I thought it would reduce the stress a lot. Ariel isn't good with new people so that could have been a huge sensory overload for her. Obviously you know your kitty best but if being around strangers is hard for him than maybe stowing him would be the best plan ^^

Last edited:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I JUST did this type of flight :-) I moved from the Netherlands back to Canada last Saturday with my little Ariel. It was 9.5 hours. I didn't have her in the cabin with me, which I think was to my advantage because all of the people and smells could be a lot to take in.

Ariel isn't very good in cars but when I picked her up from baggage claim she seemed very calm. I hadn't given her any medication either.

I chose to store her rather than keep her in the cabin because I thought it would reduce the stress a lot. Ariel isn't good with new people so that could have been a huge sensory overload for her. Obviously you know your kitty best but if being around strangers is hard for him than maybe stowing him would be the best plan ^^
You were really lucky, since flying pets in cargo is REALLY risky.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animal...s_trains.html?credit=web_id110483989#airplane

To minimize stress from new people and the new environment, a towel, pillowcase, or other covering on the carrier does wonders.

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Air travel is also especially dangerous for brachycephalic animals (like Persians), because of the shape of their nasal passages they're at a higher risk of oxygen deprivation etc. Could you find a boarding cattery or similar near to where you live?