Flying With Cats

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me an idea about how long can it take to unload the pets flying in baggage/cargo section? I am planning to move to Germany, and in January the temperature can get cold(below 0 degree C) and I'm afraid how long they have to wait out in cold if traveled in cargo/baggage.

Also, does anyone have experience in traveling with Singapore airlines with pets in cargo?

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They usually get loaded in last and unloaded first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They usually get loaded in last and unloaded first.
Yes, I have heard it, but still I was wondering how long can it take? Also I have seen restrictions like they don't fly pets in cargo if it's above 29 deg C or below 7 deg C, and that makes me think it's because they have to wait out for a while probably?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I have heard it, but still I was wondering how long can it take? Also I have seen restrictions like they don't fly pets in cargo if it's above 29 deg C or below 7 deg C, and that makes me think it's because they have to wait out for a while probably?
Part of the reason is that the cargo space is climate controlled but can't compensate for extreme temperatures. I've never flown a pet cargo so can't help you with the wait time. It probably varies with the airline and the ground staff at the airport.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadia Atique

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Part of the reason is that the cargo space is climate controlled but can't compensate for extreme temperatures. I've never flown a pet cargo so can't help you with the wait time. It probably varies with the airline and the ground staff at the airport.
So, essentially the cargo space has a different temperature from cabin? Is it true for all airlines? :S

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the airport and how efficient they are.

They might be made to wait for boarding cause they get loaded in last. I remember flying with a friend who wanted to check on her dog- he was brought out to the plane quite early. But it was summer at the time, not winter.

But for unloading, they're usually the first ones off the plane. Whenever ive flown, the pets were in the airport by the time i went through passport control.

Its probably a good idea to call singapore airlines and ask them these questions.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friends flew their dogs to New Zealand from Canada a few years ago. I don't know the specifics of when they were boarded etc, but I do know that they had to hire a company to come get them and look after them in quarantine before they transferred to another flight. It was quite complicated, but the staff on the ground that we dealt with all seemed nice and caring about the animals in their care. I hope you can get some answers from the airline Sadia Atique Sadia Atique . I do know that Singapore airlines has a great reputation for customer service.