Flying With Cat With History Of Seizures

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So for those of you who were following my previous thread -- my Biscuit has been on Keppra now for about 3 weeks. Her MRI and CSF came back completely normal (as well as abdominal radiographs, ultrasounds, echocardiogram, EKG). The only blood test value that was abnormal was elevated ALTs in September, but were normal again about two weeks ago (she has an appt tomorrow so fingers crossed still normal). Due to all of this, the neurologist has said that she must be a rare case of ATYPICAL idiopathic epilepsy. Not only is it uncommon for a cat nearly 10 years old to be diagnosed with epilepsy, but she has focal seizures which I guess usually occur only when the seizures are symptomatic of another disease, and epilepsy itself is generally more grand mal in nature.

Anyway -- so she seems to have adjusted to her Keppra and is much less lethargic now, yay! However, found out this week that the first weekend in December, we are going to have to be out of town Thurs-Sun. The Keppra is dosed 3 times a day which is nearly impossible to find anyone who can do that for us. So our options are to find a vet who boards who is staffed overnight who can give her meds 3 times a day or to take her with us on the plane.
She's never flown before and I would prefer not to do that to her. I feel like it's a lot of stressful travel for such a short trip, but it may be the best option we have. At least if she's going to be in an unfamiliar place, she'd be with us in a hotel room she can move around in, not with strangers in a cage for 4 days.

I have verified that the airline would allow us to bring her on the plane with us (not in cargo), and the hotel will allow her. There is a branch of her regular vet nearby as well as an emergency vet in the area, so we'd have access to care if needed.

However, has anyone travelled with their cats by plane? I'm sure plenty of you have. I'm nervous that the change in air pressure will not be good for her since she has the history of seizures and if she's stressed out. I definitely plan to speak with her regular vet as well as the neurologist, but wanted some feedback from some of you if you've had experiences with air travel and your kitties and how you feel it went and if it would be worth the hassle for a short trip. This trip is not optional for us and I want to make sure I make the right decision for her, and not what is easiest for me at her expense.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Three time a day, so you're saying there's a middle of the night dosage needed which is what requires a vet that is staffed overnight?
Can you find a vet's assistant or technician who could stop by your place and administer the dosage?
My two cents would be that I would not take this cat on a plane...

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't fly with her.
Epilepsy can be a real bear to treat, and if stress should trigger a seizure the last (and rare) thing you'd want is status epilepticus to set in, which can be deadly. That's not a thing you want happening when you're 50,000 feet in the air with no vet or medications in sight.
I would think boarding at a vet would be stressful, but less stress than the noise, commotion, and stress (on everyone's part) of flying, having to acclimate to a new place for 3-4 days, then back on the plane, then home. At least with the boarding option, she only has to settle in once and if something should happen with her seizures, she's in the best possible hands.
Another thing to consider is knowing a vet in the area you'll be staying just in case of emergency.
I worry a lot more with this asthmatic cat that something could set off a really bad attack and I have no way to help. When he's boarded at the vets for whatever reason, I know he isn't 100% happy (they're cats), but I know he's safe and in excellent hands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom yep three times a day. Right now it’s 6:30a, 3:30p and 10:30ishpm. Even if we can adjust her schedule to make the night dose earlier, it just pushes the morning dose earlier.

I agree with you guys. I definitely don’t want to do it. I called one place and they won’t board her since she is a seizure risk but they weren’t a vet just like a pet boarding place so that’s why I’m thinking it will have to be a vet with medical staff, and who knows how much that will cost. I’ll have to make some more calls this weekend.

Thank you for your feedback!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom yep three times a day. Right now it’s 6:30a, 3:30p and 10:30ishpm. Even if we can adjust her schedule to make the night dose earlier, it just pushes the morning dose earlier.

I agree with you guys. I definitely don’t want to do it. I called one place and they won’t board her since she is a seizure risk but they weren’t a vet just like a pet boarding place so that’s why I’m thinking it will have to be a vet with medical staff, and who knows how much that will cost. I’ll have to make some more calls this weekend.

Thank you for your feedback!
Does the vet that prescribed her medications have boarding services available?
I would start there, if they do NOT offer boarding, they would probably have a really good recommendation for you.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we are definitely NOT taking her on the plane with us. I didnt want to do it at all from the beginning, but today sealed the deal. She and Jethro went in today for the dental cleanings and I asked them to test her thyroid levels. I said, "I know, 5 vets have told me I am crazy and there is no way she is hyperthyroid, but we have ruled so many other things out, I am willing to pay $40 for peace of mind". 3 hours later, I get a call.. and whatdoya know... her T4 is 6.9. High end of normal is 4.7.
The vet prescribed topical methimazole to be compounded. I immediately emailed a copy of the labs and the prescription to the neurologist to ask him if this can be at all related to causing her seizures, OR if the seizure medication can be causing the elevated levels. I asked him to call me next week to discuss. Not going to start her on the HT meds until I speak with him.

I'm really disappointed that the vet today gave me barely any information whatsoever on HT. The only information I know is what I've already read about it online. We did not discuss treatment options, and I would not even know that there are other options other than the meds if it wasn't for my own research. I feel very let down by them today.

Either way -- definitely not putting her through that stress of travel. But while we were there, I asked if they knew of any places who would take her as a seizure risk and would be able to dose her TID, and it turns out that two of the vet techs there do pet sitting as side jobs so we got both of their #'s to follow up with them as potential options. And both can do home visits at all times of day depending on their availability, so we should be able to get her covered for all doses.

Thank you all so much for your input and feedback, I really appreciate it! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you followed your instincts, wow!! --And that you found out about the vet techs, good for you!

I'm sorry to hear they weren't helpful re; info, but hopefully you'll get more next week.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we are definitely NOT taking her on the plane with us. I didnt want to do it at all from the beginning, but today sealed the deal. She and Jethro went in today for the dental cleanings and I asked them to test her thyroid levels. I said, "I know, 5 vets have told me I am crazy and there is no way she is hyperthyroid, but we have ruled so many other things out, I am willing to pay $40 for peace of mind". 3 hours later, I get a call.. and whatdoya know... her T4 is 6.9. High end of normal is 4.7.
The vet prescribed topical methimazole to be compounded. I immediately emailed a copy of the labs and the prescription to the neurologist to ask him if this can be at all related to causing her seizures, OR if the seizure medication can be causing the elevated levels. I asked him to call me next week to discuss. Not going to start her on the HT meds until I speak with him.

I'm really disappointed that the vet today gave me barely any information whatsoever on HT. The only information I know is what I've already read about it online. We did not discuss treatment options, and I would not even know that there are other options other than the meds if it wasn't for my own research. I feel very let down by them today.

Either way -- definitely not putting her through that stress of travel. But while we were there, I asked if they knew of any places who would take her as a seizure risk and would be able to dose her TID, and it turns out that two of the vet techs there do pet sitting as side jobs so we got both of their #'s to follow up with them as potential options. And both can do home visits at all times of day depending on their availability, so we should be able to get her covered for all doses.

Thank you all so much for your input and feedback, I really appreciate it! :)
The bolded makes me pissed.
Why did 5 vets tell you that you were crazy and that a high thyroid level couldn't be possible, did they even test?? Why wouldn't they consider this an option, it's not exactly "rare" in cats?

I'm glad you've got a lead and hopefully will get more answers tomorrow.
Good on the techs are able to do this and she can just stay at home...she'll probably much happier this way.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 They say that because she's not skinny, and other than the fact she could eat all day everyday, she shows really no symptoms of HT. She's been overweight most her life despite being on weight management food for years (we measure their meals & rarely give treats). She's fluctuated but mostly hovered around 15lb as recently as May. As of September she's been around 12.9-13.3lb. Her coat is full and beautiful. I don't know why I got caught up on thinking HT, but it stuck with me.
She's still classified as overweight (they say her ideal weight should be 10.5), but she's been getting very bony along her spine, shoulders and chest. They still dismissed that part today as being normal, so maybe it is.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 They say that because she's not skinny, and other than the fact she could eat all day everyday, she shows really no symptoms of HT. She's been overweight most her life despite being on weight management food for years (we measure their meals & rarely give treats). She's fluctuated but mostly hovered around 15lb as recently as May. As of September she's been around 12.9-13.3lb. Her coat is full and beautiful. I don't know why I got caught up on thinking HT, but it stuck with me.
She's still classified as overweight (they say her ideal weight should be 10.5), but she's been getting very bony along her spine, shoulders and chest. They still dismissed that part today as being normal, so maybe it is.
I'm making the Worlds Biggest Stank face right now (at the vets, not you).
I don't think it's normal for a formerly overweight cat to get thin along the spine, shoulders, and chest and drop weight like that. And when a cat shows a higher than highest of the normal limits thyroid hormone, that's NOT normal!
It's frustrating to find vets that don't want to practice actual medicine anymore. :( A $40 blood test (that you were obviously happy to pay) to see how the thyroid levels were shouldn't be written off as "crazy". It should be done if that's what the owner wants!!! :bat:

Good on you (I am being sincere) for going with your gut and trusting it.
I don't know if high thyroid hormones could trigger seizures, but my guess is it's not impossible. Wouldn't it be wonderful to get her on thyroid tabs, have her weight and physical condition be normal AND see the seizures go away for good? :crossfingers::grouphug:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WT:censored:!!

My cat passed from complications from hyperthyroid. He was as you describe your cat, but I think a "bit" (and i use the term lightly) fatter (27 pounds :eek3:) despite our efforts to get him to drop weight. He started to lose some "weight", but the thing with hyperthyroid is often they develop muscle wasting (loss of muscle mass). Ours was still "fat", but had the bony spine, hips....until he lost so much muscle that he could no longer walk and unfortunately (the heart being a muscle as well) suffered cardiac arrest.

This was the short story, we did not just let him waste away, just so you know.

Thankfully you pushed for the thyroid test and he will get the help he needs.
I hope your kitty starts to get better soon and you figure out what's going on and sort all this out.
I'll be thinking of you both.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WT:censored:!!

My cat passed from complications from hyperthyroid. He was as you describe your cat, but I think a "bit" (and i use the term lightly) fatter (27 pounds :eek3:) despite our efforts to get him to drop weight. He started to lose some "weight", but the thing with hyperthyroid is often they develop muscle wasting (loss of muscle mass). Ours was still "fat", but had the bony spine, hips....until he lost so much muscle that he could no longer walk and unfortunately (the heart being a muscle as well) suffered cardiac arrest.

This was the short story, we did not just let him waste away, just so you know.

Thankfully you pushed for the thyroid test and he will get the help he needs.
I hope your kitty starts to get better soon and you figure out what's going on and sort all this out.
I'll be thinking of you both.
:winner::yeah:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds this "you're crazy for wanting your cat checked for hyperthyroidism" infuriating.
I would be raising holy Hell.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds this "you're crazy for wanting your cat checked for hyperthyroidism" infuriating.
I would be raising holy Hell.
I know eh? In what friggin' universe is a bony spine (and other parts) normal for healthy cat???? Even my spindly Siamese has decent muscle mass (well, did, before he became ill). But that still proves my point about the "healthy cat" part.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jem Jem I actually have you to thank for following through on the testing. You shared your story with me on my first thread on this site a few weeks ago before we had any diagnosis on her at all right after her first trip to the e-vet. You are the first person who really made me feel validated in that brief notion of the possibility of HT and I honestly don't know if I would have been persistent without your story. Thank you so much. No matter what happens, I will never forget that, and though I am so sorry that you lost your baby so quickly after you got a diagnosis, I hope you know that you and he have helped us and potentially may have added years to her life. She has been stable and thankfully as of a few weeks ago, her heart is healthy and strong, same with her kidneys. The only things we have found wrong are the elevated liver enzymes and the seizures. But without you and the time you took to share your story, who knows how long it would have taken for us to find this. The thyroid test has not been routine in their annual bloodwork at my vet. For all I know, her seizures drugs could be causing a false positive or something crazy, but at least we now have a baseline and can work from there.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you to you & Fritz

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew I followed your post at the beginning!!! I thought I was losing my mind when I re posted about Fritz, but I got so emotional about the vet saying that the bony spine and such were normal. And being that this is a new thread, I was just confused I guess...It doesn't take much these days! LOL! :crackup:

I'm so glad Fritz and I were able to help you and I'm still thinking of you and your baby.
Sending you lots of love!!! :heartshape:

Last edited: