Flying with a Himalayan

jojoegypt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am relocating from Egypt to the Uk and need to take my two Himalayan cats with me. The only way to take cats into the UK is in the cargo hold. I have read so many horror stories about pets in cargo and especially snub nose cats. Does anyone have experience of this? I can't leave the cats behind, but I wouild hate for anything to happen to them on the journey. Any advice would be appreciated.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my view the journey is the least of your problems as cats coming from Egypt have to go into quarantine:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/countries/noneu-countries/

What people started doing before the US was put on the list of 'other countries' where it might be avoided was to import via the EU, and I think you need to look at doing something like that.  There are fewer quarantine establishments than there used to be, so of course the choice has gone down.

If they were mind I'd look at the intermediate stop option, and if I couldn't do that bite the bullet and look at rehoming them in Egypt.  Quarantine is for 6 months, it's expensive and it's very stressful for the animal concerned though I suspect cats manage a bit better than dogs.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add that the consequences of arriving with two cats and quarantine not arranged don't bear thinking about.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not entirely agree.I own a condo on Israel so have some experience but have never brought in 2. cats for a length of time.

Here is what is suggested.
Egypt does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements:

Your pet cat or dog must be microchipped and vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days but not more than 12 months prior to entry into the country. If your pet's microchip is not ISO 11784/11785 compliant, you can bring your own microchip scanner.

Within 14 days of travel, a USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian must then complete the Egypt Veterinary Certificate for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. If traveling from another country, the Governing Authority of your country should endorse the forms. A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included. This will complete your cat or dog passport for Egypt.

You are required to keep the pet in your custody for the first 3 months you are in Egypt.

A small administrative fee may be charged upon your arrival.

abisiobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw, Egypt Air will allow one pet in cabin. Sk that would mes. The other I. Cargo. Check to ensure they wi allow a pet j. Cargo if it is too hot. J am not fond of cargo.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note to moderator -sorry it has occurred again!!!' Thanks fr yr patience!
They are travelling from Egpyt to the UK, so the rules on bringing pets into Egypt are irrelevent.  Not sure if there are any on leaving with pets.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you can avoid quarantine with proper microchipping, vaccination, and blood tests, and the appropriate wait time (looks like 4 months for an unlisted country---blood test taken 30 days after vaccination, then 3 months after the test). It's really quite a complicated thing, you should contact professionals to make sure you get everything correct.

Some airlines have rules about flat-faced breeds, so that's another thing you'd have to look into. And of course there are rules about the weather for any animal flying.

Last edited: