Flying Toys?

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some new toys for my cats. They get bored with things so quickly and there've been a couple of things we got that fly which caught their interest, but neither were really good toys. The first was just a cheap toy given to me at some point. You put a little disk in and pressed a button and the disc flew off. It was cool, but the discs were fragile. Most were destroyed by the dog. Then my mom got these cheap flying butterflies and they attacked me.:rolleyes3: And a wing fell off of two of them. And the dog destroyed a third.

So basically looking for some small flying type of toy that would be suitable for cats, but it would be nice if it could hold up to the dog too. She likes them as well and I feel bad not letting her play with them. Plus I can just get her to bring them back to me so I can be lazy. :p

Also, maybe some rubber toys for Ash to chew on? We got these rubber chip toys thinking Ash would like them. Well, he loved them. Turns out they weren't meant to be chewed out. I felt bad because I had to take them away since he was eating bits of rubber. Are there are sort of soft rubber types of toys that could still handle a bit of chewing?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh behalf of your cats, these may not exactly be flying, but try Kong toys, hexbug nano robot toys, Da Bird if you aren't already familiar with it.

Just to mention, Kong and Da Bird toys are made in the USA.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband used to play fetch with our cat with a Nerf gun that shot rubber tipped foam darts. But they are not good to be chewed on. When we noticed some getting mangled we would just throw them out since the darts can be bought separately.
We also had a fishing pole toy for cats. Just cast it as you would when fishing - so it flies in the air, then reel it back...You could even make your own "lures" and use a child's size fishing pole so you can use it indoors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh behalf of your cats, these may not exactly be flying, but try Kong toys, hexbug nano robot toys, Da Bird if you aren't already familiar with it.

Just to mention, Kong and Da Bird toys are made in the USA.
I'm pretty sure I have Da Bird somewhere. Where would be the question. I don't really know what happened to all of their toys. I had a Hexbug once too (it was a crab), but it didn't work great. Something to look into though. The Kong toys as well. Thank you!

Try a rubber Kitty Kong toy, Kitty KONG | KONG Company A small dog Kong toy would also work and is probably tougher.

You can try dental chew toys like this one: Petstages ORKAkat Wiggle Worm Cat Toy with Catnip - Chewy.com

I found this flying toy: NEW! Flying Bird Drone For Cats
I have Kongs for my dog. Didn't know it was even a thing for cats. Could be a good idea.

That worm toy would probably be great for Ash! I had a toy with a snake attached and he ate the tail. :ohwell: They actually have the chips that I bought in the "Frequently bought together" section of that page.

Oh, that bird is tempting. I don't see it ending well though. My house is quite small. But that site has some interesting things. There is something that seems similar to what I had that shot discs into the air. If that would hold up to the dog then it'd be perfect.

Thank you!

My husband used to play fetch with our cat with a Nerf gun that shot rubber tipped foam darts. But they are not good to be chewed on. When we noticed some getting mangled we would just throw them out since the darts can be bought separately.
We also had a fishing pole toy for cats. Just cast it as you would when fishing - so it flies in the air, then reel it back...You could even make your own "lures" and use a child's size fishing pole so you can use it indoors.
I'm sure the Nerf gun was fun, but I would be worried about them possibly eating them and if they got lost for the cats to find later... The fishing pole seems fun. Don't think my house is big enough for even a child sized one (and my horrible aim), but it would be fun. Thank you!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
There are not a lot of flying toys for cats in general, and I don't know of any that would hold up to a dog, as they often barely hold up to particularly enthusiastic cats!

But as far as those go -

Da Bird might be worth the investment to get another one if you can't find the one you have! It's highly recommended for a reason!

The Cat Dancer is another good one for aerial play -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006N9I68/?tag=thecatsite

Da Bee (from the same folks behind Da Bird) -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QPLUQXY/?tag=thecatsite

Looks like Da Bee is about $10 more than it usually is, so I would wait for the price to drop on that one or perhaps purchase it through the official website for Da Bird. Nearly all of their toys are a hit with most cats.

Teaser wands can also be good for cats that enjoy air (or ground) prey -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W3BOTII/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F5CCJ06/?tag=thecatsite

As far as chew toys, I also second the Petstages Wiggle Worm. Petstages has a couple of rubber chew toys, actually. There is also a very popular mint leaf type dental toy that our cats really like. And I second the kong toys as well. You can also look at chew toys made for very small puppies. They're usually made of rubber or really tough fabric.

Silvervine sticks might also interest them!

This contraption has been a recent hit with our guys and kind of combines several things in one! -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082TS8N2N/?tag=thecatsite