flying 15 hours with a Cat in-cabin

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure where else to ask this question, but I bought a Kitten in China last year, where I'm currently living. I will be flying from Shanghai to Toronto this January with the cat where I will leave her with family permanently, seeing how China is not the best place for a cat and I travel too often.

I'm flying Air Canada and allowed to bring the cat in-cabin under the seat in a soft carrier. I will have all the paper-work/health checks so now worries there.

The flight is 15 hours, not including the time waiting at the airport. My cat meows a lot when in her carrier so I'm worried she will meow the whole flight and drive the passengers crazy. Any tips whether I should sedate? And also can she hold her bladder for 15+ hours? I can't take her out of the carrier once we're in the air so I'm also not sure how I will feed her either or if she can just go without eating?

I can't check her into cargo because it's January and not temperature controlled so in-cabin is the only option. And surprisingly it was only $100 for her ticket; the price of an over-sized bag! thanks!

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be good to check with the vet (assuming the cat is healthy but still a good thing to go with the vet). I do know some folks have given cats Benadryl for flights, I am not sure on the dosage though. Also depends on her age/size I would think. 

I can say I can't think of anything (even Benadryl) lasting that long. Are you allowed to take her out at any point if you do have to give her another dose (assuming you do end up giving her something)?

Obviously I've never flown with a cat :) My friend in Toronto flew a kitten down here once but that was just a 1.5 hour flight. She didn't bother sedating her for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melvaughn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks, The Vet had mentioned giving some medicine. I would prefer if she slept the whole way so the other passengers aren't disturbed! (have never flown with a cat before)!

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if anything (within a safe dosage anyway) would keep out knocked out that long. Even prescription. But perhaps the vet knows of something that would work longer.

If you DO need to give more dosages, you can possibly put them in pill pockets and then give them to the cat. Might want to test that theory before you take off though, not all cats take those well. But if they do, it's a absolutely wonderful, and the cat just thinks she's getting a treat!