FLUTD question (diet)

azul

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My British Blue was having some bladder spasms and was diagnosed with FLUTD. I feed Acana (grassyland) for dry and a host of wet foods as well. After talking with an Acana rep this morning, she told me to cut down on how much Acana I am feeding and put him on an Urinary Tract Wet food. Thought about Purena Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health canned food. Is this a good plan? Or what do you guys recommend? Thanks

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Imo, the single best thing you can do for uti issues is an all wet (or at least largely wet) diet - ideally grain free or low grain - possibly even with added water in the wet food.

The better hydrated a cat is, the more dilute their urine will be and the fewer problems they will have. Cats are designed to get around 80 % of their fluid intake from their food. A cat fed a significant amount of dry food will be dehydrated because their thirst drive simply isn't strong enough to compensate.

Personally, I don't think urinary diets are essential unless you're dealing with a cat that has just had a struvite crystal blockage. That's just me though. I'm not a vet, and am not looking at your cat.

I do have british blue too, and he had a bad struvite blockage 10(ish)years ago. He's been on an 80% wet diet (normal food) ever since, with a tiny bit of royal canin urinary s/o kibble. We've never had a recurrence. I'd rather he was on an all wet diet, but I didn't know then what I know now about cat nutrition and he's very set in his ways and won't change now (at 13).

These links may help :-
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/feline-lower-urinary-tract-disease-flutd
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake
http://www.catinfo.org

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not a vet either but I would agree that all wet is more important than dry in general.  My vet even agreed with this.  My cats came from shelter eating Hill's c/d cans, and I continued that for a short time, but I've switched to other grain free cans and have not seen signs of any urinary problems after a year and a half.  Only thing about my story is I don't know for certain if they had crystals.  They were tested for various things and were thought to have something going on enough to keep them on the special food (and they were at the shelter for 6 months), but it may not have been as serious as with your cat.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i would add stress reduction to the above -- Feliway diffusers, calming treats, etc. stress can lead to bladder inflammation. 
:yeah: Very good point. It's easy to get caught up in veterinary/dietary treatments and overlook the obvious lifestyle factors.