FLUTD Food Recommendations

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for recommendations of which brand of food for urinary tract disease. My cat Ash has been struggling for the past few months with stress and frequent trips to the litter box and he just had an antibiotic injection and he blocked up. He's at the vet getting with a catheter and fluids.

When he's release I suspect the vet will suggest the Rx diet food, but I want to know if anyone has had success with other brands.

TIA

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has crystals currently, it may be wise to be on Rx wet food just long enough for them to dissolve so you avoid repeats in the short term.

Generally, any high protein, low/no carb complete cat food is great for urinary cats, though I’d avoid anything with fish, and definitely avoid kibble. Raw is also a great option, but isn’t for everyone.
Depending on your budget that can be anything from Tiki Cat/ Tiki Cat AD, Ziwipeak, or Instinct, to more budget friendly options like Fancy Feast Classics, Tiny Tiger, or American journey. Some good middle of the line foods (iirc on the price) are Nulo and the few non-fish recipes Weruva has. Personally, would recommend rotating brands, especially if you’d be able to feed a higher end brand together with budget brands 🙂

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that in the beginning I would go with the RX foods until all crystals are gone. Those prescription foods are costly and have some pretty "iffy" ingredients, but they get the job done.

Purina does make a non prescription urinary canned food, so does Dave's. But definitely try to feed only wet food, even add extra water to it if you can get away with it. And if you have hard water, try to use filtered water.

If you haven't seen this article, it might also be helpful: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that in the beginning I would go with the RX foods until all crystals are gone. Those prescription foods are costly and have some pretty "iffy" ingredients, but they get the job done.

Purina does make a non prescription urinary canned food, so does Dave's. But definitely try to feed only wet food, even add extra water to it if you can get away with it. And if you have hard water, try to use filtered water.

If you haven't seen this article, it might also be helpful: Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles
Thanks, I already have some of the Purina canned food which will have to become a staple in his diet. He is a high stress cat, we just start amitryptaline then my new vet gave me some Zylkene so I just started weaning him off the amitryptaline.

Pumpkin213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he has crystals currently, it may be wise to be on Rx wet food just long enough for them to dissolve so you avoid repeats in the short term.

Generally, any high protein, low/no carb complete cat food is great for urinary cats, though I’d avoid anything with fish, and definitely avoid kibble. Raw is also a great option, but isn’t for everyone.
Depending on your budget that can be anything from Tiki Cat/ Tiki Cat AD, Ziwipeak, or Instinct, to more budget friendly options like Fancy Feast Classics, Tiny Tiger, or American journey. Some good middle of the line foods (iirc on the price) are Nulo and the few non-fish recipes Weruva has. Personally, would recommend rotating brands, especially if you’d be able to feed a higher end brand together with budget brands 🙂
Hi, I'm in a very similar situation with my newly-diagnosed FLUTD cat Freddie. They want me to feed the Hills C/D and I really don't want to because I don't like the ingredient list. Also, he won't eat it and it gives him diarrhea when he does pick at it. I'm looking into foods with a low enough magnesium level. One main issue is that Freddie really only wants fish flavors (I created a monster who is addicted to fish). So my question is, why would you avoid fish? Are there naturally high levels of minerals there we should avoid?

Right now he eats a combination of Dave's Fisherman's Stew and Weruva fish flavors for wet, and some Avoderm chicken and herring for dry (I want to switch this dry food and eventually get him off dry altogether). My vet is really pushing the C/D and it makes me feel like I'm failing him because I can't get him on the right food.

I am very interested in raw, but the most affordable ones (generally freeze dried raw, I have found) have high levels of phosphorus. Making my own isn't an option right now.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm in a very similar situation with my newly-diagnosed FLUTD cat Freddie. They want me to feed the Hills C/D and I really don't want to because I don't like the ingredient list. Also, he won't eat it and it gives him diarrhea when he does pick at it. I'm looking into foods with a low enough magnesium level. One main issue is that Freddie really only wants fish flavors (I created a monster who is addicted to fish). So my question is, why would you avoid fish? Are there naturally high levels of minerals there we should avoid?

Right now he eats a combination of Dave's Fisherman's Stew and Weruva fish flavors for wet, and some Avoderm chicken and herring for dry (I want to switch this dry food and eventually get him off dry altogether). My vet is really pushing the C/D and it makes me feel like I'm failing him because I can't get him on the right food.

I am very interested in raw, but the most affordable ones (generally freeze dried raw, I have found) have high levels of phosphorus. Making my own isn't an option right now.
There are many reasons to avoid fish, even more so for urinary cats, as fish can have high magnesium and phosphorous.

Freeze dried is typically more expensive than frozen 🙂

As for the rest, nothing to be done but gradually transitioning him to a food that’smore appropriate for him.

Pumpkin213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are many reasons to avoid fish, even more so for urinary cats, as fish can have high magnesium and phosphorous.

[/URL]

Freeze dried is typically more expensive than frozen 🙂

As for the rest, nothing to be done but gradually transitioning him to a food that’smore appropriate for him.
Thank you for this! I will look more into frozen over freeze dried. In the past I've had cats go crazy for raw so maybe if I can find a good frozen raw chicken or turkey he will go for it.