FLUTD? 4 Yr old Male Cat

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I been dealing with this issue for about a year now. My Intact 4 year old male cat is suffering from what I’m guessing FLUTD. I taken him ASPCA hospital about 4-5 times and they do not know what’s going on with him and at this point they told me he has chronic urinary issues. They did x-rays, urinalysis, ultrasounds, urine cultures. No infection found & only struvite crystals but the vet doesn’t think that’s a big issue since he is only on wet food diet for about 8 months now. I feed him the fancy feast classic line such as chicken and turkey pate only with about 4 TAblespoons added in each small meal about 4 times a day with 1 pill of cosequin because the prescription foods are so expensive. But he has not gotten better at all. He is the only cat, no kids around. No stressors, clean litter box every night. I do not know what to do and the vet doesn’t know what to do either. I really did not want to put him on a prescription diet because of all the junk they put in them & the cost but I guess I have to put him back on it. I ordered 2 cases of Dave’s restricted pork diet to see if this helps him in anyway. If that doesn’t I guess I have to go back to Hills C/D. Has anyone else been through this? Do you recommend to put him on strictly Dave’s restricted food only and see what happens? I’m very tired and stressed out. I love him so much. Any advice is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has also never been blocked, just strains sometimes depending if I don’t put enough water in his food. Did urinate with blood once in July.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you need the opinion of a different vet. It wouldn’t be a bad idea. Obviously something is off. Did the vet give you any kind of a diagnosis? Any antibiotics tried even? You mentioned no stressors but then you mentioned he is intact. An I’m neutered male can easily be stressed by things you cannot see, hear or smell. If there is another cat of either gender anywhere near, there are stressors. Any animals of any kind can be a stressor for an intact male. What does the vet say about getting him neutered? Is he healthy enough to do that? That does tend to make the males much more relaxed. I got all my kitties fixed and life became much calmer around here. Have you tried any claiming products like Feliway diffusers?

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you need the opinion of a different vet. It wouldn’t be a bad idea. Obviously something is off. Did the vet give you any kind of a diagnosis? Any antibiotics tried even? You mentioned no stressors but then you mentioned he is intact. An I’m neutered male can easily be stressed by things you cannot see, hear or smell. If there is another cat of either gender anywhere near, there are stressors. Any animals of any kind can be a stressor for an intact male. What does the vet say about getting him neutered? Is he healthy enough to do that? That does tend to make the males much more relaxed. I got all my kitties fixed and life became much calmer around here. Have you tried any claiming products like Feliway diffusers?
I’m going to make an appointment to a regular vet because the ASPCA where I’ve taking him only treat emergencies and they said they do not treat chronic illnesses since that is what they consider him now. The vet did not give me a straight diagnosis but they suspect it was FLUTD. Antibiotics of clavamox I believe was given to him when he first started to get issues a year ago for about 2 weeks, it went away for a month but came back. I live in a spaced out apartment building, and he gets into no contact with other cats at all. He never even seen another cat before or heard because he doesn’t go near the door. I asked the vet if I should get him neutered & the vet said I shouldn’t at the moment because they don’t want to cause him to flare up really bad or get stressed out. I did try a diffuser once in the bathroom but to no drastic results, I also got a calming spray but no results either. I wasted a lot of money by now, so making an appointment to a regular PCP I’m trying to hold off for a little until I get my student refund so I wanted to see if putting him on Dave’s restricted diet food or Hills C/D strictly can help him in any way :(. I never put him on a strict diet because the prescription food is expensive & I Used to mixed it in with half C/D & half fancy feast so I wanted to see if a strict diet can help him.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also herbal additives to try, check them out on Amazon, PetMeds, or Foster and Smith's under "urinary care for cats". It wouldn't hurt and might help. I have seen them to prevent crystals too. Make sure you bring the bottle in or list the ingredients to show any vet. I got them for my cat that had urinary flareups and they helped. If he smells it and won't eat it mixed in food, get some of those lickable treats at Walmart or any pet section, put the dose on a plate and cover it with the treat. I haven't had a cat resist them yet! Just make sure you get the stew kind, not the bisque, I have had them refuse the latter.

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are also herbal additives to try, check them out on Amazon, PetMeds, or Foster and Smith's under "urinary care for cats". It wouldn't hurt and might help. I have seen them to prevent crystals too. Make sure you bring the bottle in or list the ingredients to show any vet. I got them for my cat that had urinary flareups and they helped. If he smells it and won't eat it mixed in food, get some of those lickable treats at Walmart or any pet section, put the dose on a plate and cover it with the treat. I haven't had a cat resist them yet! Just make sure you get the stew kind, not the bisque, I have had them refuse the latter.
Which product do you use? I’ve seen about corn silk oil being good, so I might get that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been several years ago so I don't remember. I do remember it was a liquid. I also gave him a gel I got at Tractor supply that said it prevented crystals. I would go to the amazon site and ask for cat urinary care.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he has crystals they need to be desolved and they could well be causing inflammation in the bladder. Have a look at alcohol free Cornsilk and d-mannose. Cornsilk will heal the inflammation and is a mild pain relief and d-mannose will desolve the debris, not sure if it desolves crystals. Avoid all dry food of you can.

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been several years ago so I don't remember. I do remember it was a liquid. I also gave him a gel I got at Tractor supply that said it prevented crystals. I would go to the amazon site and ask for cat urinary care.
Thank you I will look into that.

Ashleya187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he has crystals they need to be desolved and they could well be causing inflammation in the bladder. Have a look at alcohol free Cornsilk and d-mannose. Cornsilk will heal the inflammation and is a mild pain relief and d-mannose will desolve the debris, not sure if it desolves crystals. Avoid all dry food of you can.
Thank you I just ordered some d mannose off of Amazon right now that has good reviews & yes he’s been off dry food for months now.