Flushable cat litter ?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

But, he says people who ignore that advice are excellent for the plumbing profession.
Indeed.
If one really wants it flushed, teach the cats to use the toilet or look into a cat genie.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I use World's Best - like it a lot.

I clean out the litter several times a day - I have 3 cats using one pan right now, and so keeping it cleaned out for the next user is a priority.

I've never had a problem with a sweet smell, etc., but sometimes - because it's natural I suppose - it does track, depending on the bag I open.

ANYhow, I do feel like this litter is much safer for my cats - I especially enjoy the litter because there is little or no dust. (there goes the "no grain" diet because they groom their feet after they are digging in the litter
)

For the "Outside" cats (some are coming inside at nights), I use a mixture of the World's Best and PetSmart's clay clumping litter - that works good, too.

I don't think flushing the litter is a good idea - but ???

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flushing cat feces can be harmful for wildlife specially in Coastal areas... I have been watching this thread and I am surprised that nobody has brought this up yet...
Cat feces should not be flushed because of Toxoplasmosis, and the harm it posis to sea Otters and other sea creatures. In California, for example, legislation demands that all flushable cat littles need to have a warning label about the dangers to the environment. The sea Otters population went from 15,000 to 2500 and in 17% the main cause of death was Toxoplasmosis. Toxo is not killed by normal sewage treatment and it eventually makes its way to the oceans - it causes brain damage and death.

So, for those thinking about the convenience of flushing litter, please think about the sea creatures that are suffering a painful death because of it....

More info can be found here, but this is a known issue - easy to find over the net.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most stuff that is advertised as 'flushable' is not really, including cat litter and certain feminine sanitary products. The same thing that makes the litter clump around your cat's waste will make it clump in your drain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've already flushed worlds best, it pretty much instantly breaks apart in water.

macrylinda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Oh my, that's the most accurate complete description of WBCL I've ever seen on this site. I agree 500 percent.

And it's expensive to boot!

The only positive is the way it clumps -but the negatives are much too much. Some varieties of Tidy Cats clump just as nicely.

I do not know of any other flushable litter.
I've been using WBCL and flushing it for the last five years. So far no problem.

To me it's a life saver. I am partially disabled and disposing of litter in the trash is not an option.

I don't notice any bad smell if I keep it scooped. Also, I only have one cat but still use the multi-cat formula.